Current:Home > FinanceRays' Wander Franco placed on MLB restricted list after human trafficking charges -Elevate Capital Network
Rays' Wander Franco placed on MLB restricted list after human trafficking charges
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 06:31:40
Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Wander Franco, facing up to 20 years in prison on charges of human trafficking, was formally placed on MLB’s restricted list Wednesday.
He no longer will be paid or receive service time.
Franco, who previously had been on administrative leave until charges were filed, was formally charged by Dominican Republic prosecutors with sexual abuse and sexual exploitation against a minor and with human trafficking.
“Serious charges,’’ Rays manager Kevin Cash told reporters Wednesday. “Very concerning.’’
The Rays, after being notified of the charges Tuesday night, requested Wednesday that he be placed on the restricted list instead of the administrative list since he is prohibited from playing. Franco was being paid $2.454 million in the third year of a 11-year, $182 million contract.
Follow every MLB game: Latest MLB scores, stats, schedules and standings.
Franco is facing a prison sentence of two to five years for sexual abuse and five to 10 years for sexual exploitation while the human trafficking charges carry a sentence from 15 to 20 years. If Franco is found guilty of multiple charges, he would be sentenced on the crime with the longest prison term, according to Dominican laws.
Franco is being charged with having a relationship with a then 14-year-old girl that began in December 2022, when Franco was 21. Franco previously denied all allegations, which surfaced on social media posts on Aug. 13, 2023.
Prosecutors presented nearly a 600-page report to a judge in January. It included details of the alleged sexual relationship derived from interviews and messages between Franco and the girl.
The report also alleged that Franco paid the girl’s mother to continue the relationship. The mother was also charged with trafficking, sexual exploitation and money laundering.
MLB will continue its own investigation of Franco after his legal status in the Dominican is determined.
“We are aware of the charges against Mr. Franco,’’ MLB said in a release. “Our investigation remains open and we will continue to closely monitor the case as it moves forward.’’
Follow Bob Nightengale on X @Bnightengale
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (769)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- What is a recession? The economic concept explained. What causes and happens during one.
- Yale student demonstrators arrested amid pro-Palestinian protest
- 'Unspeakable loss': Chicago Police Department officer fatally shot returning home from work
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Baltimore leaders accuse ship’s owner and manager of negligence in Key Bridge collapse
- Here's how to track the status of your 2024 tax refund
- Prosecutors cancel warrant for lawmaker on primary eve, saying protective order hadn’t been in place
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Arizona judge declares mistrial in the case of a rancher accused of fatally shooting a migrant
Ranking
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Yikes! Your blood sugar crashed. Here's how to avoid that again.
- Express files for bankruptcy, plans to close nearly 100 stores
- Mall retailer Express files for bankruptcy, company closing nearly 100 stores
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Chinese generosity in lead-up to cleared doping tests reflects its growing influence on WADA
- Meet California's Toy Man, a humble humanitarian who's brought joy to thousands of kids
- How Gigi Hadid Dove Into a Deep Relationship With Bradley Cooper
Recommendation
Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
When red-hot isn’t enough: New government heat risk tool sets magenta as most dangerous level
No charges yet in weekend crash that killed 2 siblings at Michigan birthday party
Prosecutors cancel warrant for lawmaker on primary eve, saying protective order hadn’t been in place
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
Public school advocates again face how to stop school choice in Nebraska
A suburban Seattle police officer faces murder trial in the death of a man outside convenience store
Baltimore leaders accuse ship’s owner and manager of negligence in Key Bridge collapse