Current:Home > StocksFormer Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday -Elevate Capital Network
Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 03:53:19
Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro will go to trial Tuesday on criminal charges that he defied a subpoena for testimony and documents issued in February 2022 by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
The House of Representatives voted in April 2022 to hold Navarro in contempt of Congress. The matter was then referred to the Justice Department, and two months later Navarro was indicted by a grand jury on contempt of Congress charges.
According to the indictment, Navarro faces one count over his refusal to appear for a deposition in front of the committee, and another count for refusing to produce documents.
MORE: Judge says former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege
Navarro has pleaded not guilty to both charges. If convicted on both counts, he could face a maximum of two years in prison and fines up to $200,000, according to the Justice Department.
Last week, Judge Amit Mehta ruled that Navarro cannot argue to a jury that then-President Donald Trump asserted executive privilege to block him from testifying before Congress. Mehta said that Navarro's claim that he spoke to Trump last year at which time "Trump clearly invoked executive privilege" provided no specific evidence that Trump had indeed done so.
"There was no formal invocation of executive privilege by [Trump] after personal consideration nor authorization to Mr. Navarro to invoke privilege on his behalf," Mehta said.
After the pre-trial hearing, Navarro doubled down on his claim that Trump formally granted him executive privilege.
"It's been the case where people like me, senior advisers, the president ... cannot be compelled to testify," Navarro said to reporters last week. "There is not a single White House adviser who hasn't asserted executive privilege."
Navarro, who was the director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy in the Trump White House, wrote a series of reports in the weeks following the 2020 presidential election claiming that the election was stolen from Trump.
He was also in contact with Trump ally Steve Bannon about an effort to delay Congress' certification of the election and overturn the results, a plan Navarro dubbed the "Green Bay Sweep" in his book, "In Trump Time," the Jan. 6 committee wrote in its report.
Bannon also defied a House select committee subpoena and was subsequently convicted on two counts of contempt of Congress last year.
veryGood! (5149)
Related
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Emmys: What you didn't see on TV, including Jennifer Aniston's ticket troubles
- Connie Chung talks legacy, feeling like she 'parachuted into a minefield' on '20/20'
- Kirk Cousins' record in primetime games: What to know about Falcons QB's win-loss
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Can noncitizens vote in Pennsylvania elections?
- Krispy Kreme introduces fall-inspired doughnut collection: See the new flavors
- Anna Kendrick Says A Simple Favor Director Paul Feig Made Sequel “Even Crazier”
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Hawaii prisons are getting new scanners that can detect drugs without opening mail
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Everything to Know About the 2024 Emmys' Biggest Winner Shogun
- Microsoft solves 365 outage that left thousands unable to access email, Teams, other apps
- Biggest moments at the 2024 Emmy Awards, from Candice Bergen to 'Shogun'
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Former Uvalde schools police chief makes first court appearance since indictment
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Pop Tops
- TikTokers Matt Howard and Abby Howard Break Silence on Backlash Over Leaving Kids in Cruise Room
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Jermaine Johnson injury update: NY Jets linebacker suffers season-ending injury vs Titans
Disney trips meant for homeless students went to NYC school employees’ kids, officials say
A'ja Wilson makes more WNBA history as first player to score 1,000 points in a season
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Pittsburgh Penguins' Sidney Crosby signs two-year contract extension
Target brings back popular car seat-trade in program: How you can get the discount
Travis Kelce's NFL Suite Features Sweet Nod to Taylor Swift