Current:Home > StocksFederal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion -Elevate Capital Network
Federal prosecutors charge ex-Los Angeles County deputies in sham raid and $37M extortion
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 01:08:04
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two former Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies and two former foreign military officials have been charged with threatening a Chinese national and his family with violence and deportation during a sham raid at his Orange County home five years ago, federal prosecutors said Monday.
The four men also demanded $37 million and the rights to the man’s business, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles. Authorities have not released the businessman’s name.
The men are scheduled to be arraigned Monday afternoon on charges of conspiracy to commit extortion, attempted extortion, conspiracy against rights, and deprivation of rights under color of law.
Prosecutors said the group drove to the victim’s house in Irvine on June 17, 2019, and forced him, his wife and their two children into a room for hours, took their phones, and threatened to deport him unless he complied with their demands. Authorities said the man is a legal permanent resident.
The men slammed the businessman against a wall and choked him, prosecutors said. Fearing for his and his family’s safety, he signed documents relinquishing his multimillion-dollar interest in Jiangsu Sinorgchem Technology Co. Ltd., a China-based company that makes rubber chemicals.
Federal prosecutors said the man’s business partner, a Chinese woman who was not indicted, financed the bogus raid. The two had been embroiled in legal disputes over the company in the United States and China for more than a decade, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said one of the men charged, Steven Arthur Lankford — who retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in 2020 — searched for information on the victim in a national database using a terminal at the sheriff’s department. They said Lankford, 68, drove the other three men to the victim’s house in an unmarked sheriff’s department vehicle, flashed his badge and identified himself as a police officer.
It was not immediately clear if Lankford has an attorney who can speak on his behalf. The Associated Press left a message Monday at a telephone number listed for Lankford, but he did not respond.
Federal prosecutors also charged Glen Louis Cozart, 63, of Upland, who also used to be a sheriff’s deputy. The AP left a phone message for Cozart, but he didn’t immediately respond.
Lankford was hired by Cozart, who in turn was hired by Max Samuel Bennett Turbett, a 39-year-old U.K. citizen and former member of the British military who also faces charges. Prosecutors said Turbett was hired by the Chinese businesswoman who financed the bogus raid.
Matthew Phillip Hart, 41, an Australian citizen and former member of the Australian military, is also charged in the case.
“It is critical that we hold public officials, including law enforcement officers, to the same standards as the rest of us,” said United States Attorney Martin Estrada. “It is unacceptable and a serious civil rights violation for a sworn police officer to take the law into his own hands and abuse the authority of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.”
If convicted, the four men could each face up to 20 years in federal prison.
veryGood! (12)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Delaware lawmakers approve first leg of constitutional amendment to reform bail system
- Alaska Supreme Court overturns lower court and allows correspondence school law to stand
- US wants Boeing to plead guilty to fraud over fatal crashes, lawyers say
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- BET Awards 2024: See the Complete List of Winners
- Baseball Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda dies at 86
- Taylor Swift tells staff 'We need some help' for fan at Ireland Eras Tour show
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- More WestJet flight cancellations as Canadian airline strike hits tens of thousands of travelers
Ranking
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Should gun store sales get special credit card tracking? States split on mandating or prohibiting it
- Baseball Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda dies at 86
- Baseball Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda dies at 86
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- What would happen if Biden stepped aside from the 2024 presidential race?
- Juan Estrada vs. Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez live: Updates, card for WBC super flyweight title
- 2024 BET Awards: Killer Mike Shares Blessing That Came One Day After Arrest at Grammy Awards
Recommendation
Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
MLB trade deadline 2024: Another slugger for Dodgers? 4 deals we want to see
US Olympic track trials results: 400m hurdles stars dazzle as world record falls
5 things to know about CBS News' 2024 Battleground Tracker election poll analysis
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
A look at international media coverage of the Biden-Trump debate
Should gun store sales get special credit card tracking? States split on mandating or prohibiting it
Gabby Thomas wins 200 at Olympic track trials; Sha'Carri Richardson fourth