Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Los Angeles Airbnb renter leaves property after 570 days, lawsuits: report -Elevate Capital Network
Charles H. Sloan-Los Angeles Airbnb renter leaves property after 570 days, lawsuits: report
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:55:12
The Charles H. Sloansaga of an Airbnb guest turned unwelcome resident in a tony Los Angeles neighborhood appears to have reached an end Friday.
Elizabeth Hirschhorn has moved out of the Brentwood home of Sascha Jovanovic after spending 570 days in an accessory dwelling unit, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Jovanovic was being interviewed for a documentary about the multi-year dispute when three men, who turned out to be movers, entered the unit. Jovanovic called police when the men refused to identify the reason for them entering his property.
Hirschhorn was escorted off of the property once her belongings were packed, according to the Times. Jovanovic and his attorney confirmed that the unit was vacated and changed the locks within an hour.
Jovanovic's lawyer told the Times that he would drop the unlawful detainer lawsuit but pursue damages.
Hirschhorn's lawyers said that Jovanovic should not assume that Hirschhorn has left for good in an email exchange between council reviewed by the Times.
“Subject to my discussions with Ms. Hirschhorn, please be advised that you have no authority to change the locks or to assume abandonment of the unit,” Hirschhorn's lawyer wrote. “Further, you have violated the law by entering without permission and changing the locks.”
Are Airbnbs cheaper than hotels?Depends on your trip details, travel site survey says
When did the trouble between Jovanovic and Hirschhorn begin?
Jovanovic had been renting the guesthouse, located on his property, as an Airbnb since 2019.
The problems began for Jovanovic when he rented out his accessory dwelling unit in Los Angeles' Brentwood neighborhood to Hirschhorn. She had initially rented out the Airbnb in September 2021 as a long-term stay, and was meant to leave in March 2022. Her stay was extended to a month later in April, according to The Times, but did not move out when her stay was scheduled to end.
Since the stay began, both the host and guest have sued each other
Jovanovic and Hirschhorn have sued each other, and the LA Times said in a settlement offer Hirschhorn had refused to move unless Jovanovic pays her a relocation fee of $100,000.
Airbnb has since deleted Hirschhorn's account. It told the LA Times because the stay was extended outside the platform, it was deemed a third-party matter and does not involve the company.
Leg lamp window:'A Christmas Story' house sold in Cleveland ahead of film's 40th anniversary. What's next?
Hirschhorn won legal protections
Hirschhorn's attorney told the LA Times that because the city had never approved the unit for occupancy, and that its shower was constructed without a permit, she was not required to pay rent.
“The landlord broke the law and tried to make money by renting out an illegal bootleg unit,” her attorney, Colin Walshok, told the LA Times. “After he was caught, instead of doing the right thing, he has resorted to bullying, harassment and the filing of frivolous lawsuits containing elaborate false stories, all in attempt to cover his tracks.”
Hirschhorn has tenant protections because the unit falls under Los Angeles' Rent Stabilization Ordinance, a city investigator concluded.
She has also qualified for Los Angeles' Just Cause Ordinance, which was adopted in March and protects tenants at the end of their first lease or six months after lawful occupancy. Under the ordinance, tenant no-fault evictions also require the payment of relocation assistance.
veryGood! (5656)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Global shift to clean energy means fossil fuel demand will peak soon, IEA says
- The Best Work-Appropriate Halloween Costume Ideas for 2023 to Wear to Your Office Party
- Lebanon’s prime minister visits troops at the country’s tense southern border with Israel
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Trump and Michael Cohen come face to face at New York fraud trial
- Long COVID brain fog may originate in a surprising place, say scientists
- Prosecutors close investigation of Berlin aquarium collapse as the cause remains unclear
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Possible motive revealed week after renowned Iranian film director and wife stabbed to death
Ranking
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- Man United pays respects to the late Bobby Charlton with pre-match tributes at Old Trafford
- Miners from a rival union hold hundreds of colleagues underground at a gold mine in South Africa
- Military spokesman says Israel plans to increase strikes on Gaza
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Rio de Janeiro deploys helicopters in extra security after a criminal gang torches 35 buses
- Georgia babysitter sentenced to life after death of 9-month-old baby, prosecutors say
- When does 'The Crown' Season 6 come out on Netflix? Release date, cast, teaser trailer
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Winning Date Nights Continue in Kansas City
Adolis Garcia, Rangers crush Astros in ALCS Game 7 to reach World Series since 2011
Tom Bergeron Reflects on “Betrayal” That Led to His Exit From Dancing with the Stars
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
1 killed, 4 injured in fountain electrocution incident at Florida shopping center
Oregon State University gives all clear after alerting bomb threat in food delivery robots
Fountain electrocution: 1 dead, 4 injured at Florida shopping complex