Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|North Carolina WR Tez Walker can play in 2023 after NCAA grants transfer waiver -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro Exchange|North Carolina WR Tez Walker can play in 2023 after NCAA grants transfer waiver
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:57:41
The SafeX Pro ExchangeTez Walker-NCAA saga may be over, as the North Carolina receiver will be granted a transfer waiver that will make him eligible to play the remainder of the 2023 season.
The NCAA said it received new information regarding Walker's eligibility this week, which made him qualify for the waiver. The NCAA also said the information wasn't previously made available by the Tar Heels "despite the school's multiple chances to do so."
"It is unfortunate that UNC failed to provide this important information previously. While we must be careful not to compromise a student-athlete's right to privacy when it comes to sensitive issues, we want to assure the Division I membership and everyone watching how the new transfer rules are applied, that this meets the new transfer waiver standards," NCAA president Charlie Baker and Division I Board of Directors chair Jere Morehead said in a statement.
Tez Walker-NCAA saga
The decision comes nearly a month after Walker was ruled ineligible for the season after transferring from Kent State. Walker announced his transfer to his home state in December to be closer to his ailing grandmother, but he was deemed ineligible and missed North Carolina's first four games. The prior decision drew outrage from head coach Mack Brown, who infamously wrote in a letter, "Shame on you, NCAA. SHAME ON YOU!"
After Brown's outburst, the NCAA ripped the Tar Heels for the public outrage, saying some committee members faced threats. In the announcement on Thursday, the NCAA once again took a shot at North Carolina, putting the blame on them for Walker's prior eligibility status.
"UNC's behavior and decision to wage a public relations campaign is inappropriate and outside the bounds of the process UNC's own staff supported. Had the UNC staff not behaved in this fashion and submitted this information weeks ago, this entire unfortunate episode could have been avoided," Baker and Morehead said.
'See everyone on Saturday'
Brown said in a statement Thursday "we were thrilled" to learn Walker was eligible, and thanked the NCAA for its co-operation.
"Everything that's transpired over the last few months has been with the sole purpose of helping and supporting him, and now he's going to have a chance to live his dream," Brown said. "We want to express our gratitude to the people at UNC who have worked tirelessly to assist Tez. We never gave up. We also wanted to thank the NCAA for being willing to re-examine Tez's case, and ultimately deciding to grant him his eligibility."
Walker said he's excited to play for the Tar Heels this season as he has received support from the university and fans since the initial decision. He indicated he will be available for North Carolina's home game against Syracuse this weekend.
"I can't wait to put on that jersey, run out of the tunnel, and play in Kenan Stadium. I've been dreaming of this for a long time and now it will be a reality. See everyone on Saturday," Walker said.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- You tell us how to fix mortgages, and more
- Homecoming queen candidate dies on football field in Ohio; community grieves
- 3 New England states join together for offshore wind power projects, aiming to lower costs
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Roy Wood Jr. says he's leaving 'The Daily Show' but he doesn't hold a grudge
- Japan hopes to resolve China’s seafood ban over Fukushima’s wastewater release within WTO’s scope
- Tennessee Three Rep. Justin Jones sues House speaker, says he was unconstitutionally expelled
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- David Beckham Details How Victoria Supported Him During Personal Documentary
Ranking
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Charmin changes up its toilet paper, trading in straight perforations for wavy tears
- Man steals car with toddler in back seat, robs bank, hits tree and dies from injuries, police say
- Victoria Beckham on David's cheating rumors in Netflix doc: 'We were against each other'
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Merrily We Roll Along and its long road back to Broadway
- Savannah Chrisley Reveals Dad Todd's Ironic Teaching Job in Prison
- Man arrested hours after rape and killing of 5-year-old girl in Kansas
Recommendation
Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
Fearing ostracism or worse, many nonbelievers hide their views in the Middle East and North Africa
You tell us how to fix mortgages, and more
Victoria Beckham Shares Why She Was “Pissed Off” With David Beckham Over Son Cruz’s Birth
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
Lindsie Chrisley Shares Why She Hasn’t Reached Out to Sister Savannah Over Death of Nic Kerdiles
Typhoon Koinu makes landfall in southern Taiwan, causing 190 injuries but no deaths
Police in Holyoke, Massachusetts are investigating after multiple people were reported shot