Current:Home > reviewsWomen’s World Cup winners maintain boycott of Spain’s national team. Coach delays picking her squad -Elevate Capital Network
Women’s World Cup winners maintain boycott of Spain’s national team. Coach delays picking her squad
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 01:16:00
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — The new coach of Spain’s women’s team had to delay the announcement of her first squad Friday after the country’s World Cup-winning players maintained their boycott of the national team as part of their fight against sexism in soccer.
Spain coach Montse Tomé was set to announce her squad on Friday. But 20 minutes before she was supposed to hold a news conference, the federation said it was postponed to a time to be determined.
The federation said the players had rejected their attempts to convince them to return to the team early on Friday.
That leaves Tomé with the difficult decision of whether to still call up the revolting players, or select a completely different team for upcoming Nations League games against Sweden and Switzerland on Sept. 22 and 26. According to Spanish sports law, athletes are required to answer the call of its national teams unless there are circumstances that impede them from playing, such as an injury.
Spain’s women have had little chance to celebrate their greatest soccer achievement because Luis Rubiales, the now former president of the federation, caused an uproar when he kissed player Jenni Hermoso on the lips at the awards ceremony in Sydney on Aug. 20.
The 23 players, along with dozens of other players, responded to his subsequent refusal to step down in the days after the kiss by announcing that they would not play for their nation again until the federation underwent deep reforms and had new leadership.
The federation has been in upheaval since. Rubiales was first suspended by soccer governing body FIFA, then his interim replacement fired women’s national team coach Jorge Vilda, who was unpopular with players. Rubiales himself eventually resigned under immense pressure.
Many expected that the firing of Vilda and the exit of Rubiales would clear the path for the return of the players. But it appears that the players want more changes, even though they have not made their specific demands public.
The players said through their FUTRPO union on Aug. 25 that they would not return to play for Spain “if the present leadership continues” and asked for “real structural changes that help the national team continue to grow.”
Last year, 15 players similarly rebelled, asking for more “professional” coaching from Vilda. The federation — led by Rubiales — firmly backed Vilda, and only three of those players relented and were eventually included in the World Cup squad.
Quietly, however, the player revolt did appear to lead to some changes. The staff was increased to more than 60 members to accompany the team to Australia and New Zealand, the team flew on chartered flights, and players were given money to help bring their families along. Players with children were also given time to spend with them.
With Rubiales — Vilda’s biggest supporter — out of the way, the federation has sided more fully with the players during this second rebellion. In Vilda’s place, the federation hired Tomé, his former assistant, as the first female coach of Spain’s women’s team.
Spain midfielder Alexia Putellas, a two-time Ballon d’Or winner, said Wednesday that the players want sweeping reform.
“We are asking for changes so no woman, inside or outside of soccer, should ever have to experience again situations of disparagement, disrespect, or abuse,” Alexia said. “We need consensus, courage and leadership from the institutions, please. This is why we will not stop here.”
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (111)
Related
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- Indulge in Chrissy Teigen's Sweet Review of Meghan Markle's Jam From American Riviera Orchard
- Medical plane crashes in North Carolina, injuring pilot and doctor on board
- Relatives of those who died waiting for livers at now halted Houston transplant program seek answers
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Should Americans be worried about the border? The first Texas border czar says yes.
- FTC sends $5.6 million in refunds to Ring customers as part of video privacy settlement
- TikTok has promised to sue over the potential US ban. What’s the legal outlook?
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- KC Current fire head of medical staff for violating NWSL's non-fraternization policy
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Tennessee would criminalize helping minors get abortions under bill heading to governor
- Medical plane crashes in North Carolina, injuring pilot and doctor on board
- 74-year-old woman who allegedly robbed Ohio credit union may have been scam victim, family says
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- 2024 NFL Draft rumors: Jayden Daniels' 'dream world' team, New York eyeing trade for QB
- Meet Thermonator, a flame-throwing robot dog with 30-foot range being sold by Ohio company
- Biden meets 4-year-old Abigail Edan, an American who was held hostage by Hamas
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Eminem’s Daughter Hailie Jade Shares Beautiful Glimpse Inside Her Home
Firefighters fully contain southern New Jersey forest fire that burned hundreds of acres
Timberwolves' Naz Reid wins NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award: Why he deserved the honor
Travis Hunter, the 2
Man falls 300 feet to his death while hiking with wife along Oregon coast
Doctors perform first-ever combined heart pump and pig kidney transplant
Maine sheriff’s fate rests with governor after commissioners call for his firing