Current:Home > MarketsEx of man charged with shooting Palestinian students had police remove his gun from her home in 2013 -Elevate Capital Network
Ex of man charged with shooting Palestinian students had police remove his gun from her home in 2013
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 08:21:32
An ex-girlfriend of the man charged with shooting and wounding three college students of Palestinian descent in Vermont asked police 10 years ago to remove his gun from her home after she said the couple had split up and she did not feel safe returning it herself, according to police.
The Syracuse, New York, woman told police on Aug. 1, 2013, that she wanted to turn in the shotgun of her ex-boyfriend Jason Eaton, saying she had recently ended the relationship and didn’t want the gun in her home, Lt. Matthew Malinowski of the Syracuse police wrote in a email to The Associated Press on Thursday, summarizing the report. NBC News first reported on the incident.
The woman said she had a history of domestic violence with Eaton and didn’t want any contact with him and that he did not currently live with her. She turned over the DeerSlayer 20-gauge shotgun, which was logged into evidence, Malinowski said.
Eaton’s publicly appointed attorneys said they did not have a comment at this time.
In 2019, another ex-girlfriend of Eaton’s called police in Dewitt, New York, a town near Syracuse, saying she had received numerous text messages, emails and phone calls that were sexual in nature but not threatening from him and that he had driven by her home, according to a police report.
She said she didn’t want to press charges but just wanted police to tell him to stop contacting her, the report states. Eaton said he was under the impression that the woman still wanted to see him and when the officer told him that she wanted absolutely no contact he said he understood, according to police.
Eaton had moved to Vermont this summer from Syracuse, according to Burlington, Vermont, police.
The 48-year-old was arrested Sunday at his Burlington apartment on three counts of attempted murder. Authorities say he shot and seriously wounded Hisham Awartani, Kinnan Abdalhamid and Tahseen Ali Ahmad in Burlington on Saturday evening as they were walking in his neighborhood near the University of Vermont. The 20-year-old students had been spending Thanksgiving break with Abdalhamid’s uncle who lives nearby.
The students were conversing in a mix of English and Arabic and two of them were also wearing black-and-white Palestinian keffiyeh scarves when they were shot, police said.
Authorities are investigating Saturday’s shooting to determine whether it constitutes a hate crime. Threats against Jewish, Muslim and Arab communities have increased across the U.S. since the Israel-Hamas war began in October.
Eaton pleaded not guilty on Monday and is being held without bail. His name appeared in 37 Syracuse police reports from 2007 until 2021, but never as a suspect, said Malinowski. The cases ranged from domestic violence to larceny, and Eaton was listed as either a victim or the person filing the complaint in 21 of the reports, Malinowski said.
_____
Rathke reported from Marshfield, Vermont. Associated Press reporter Michael Casey contributed from Boston.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- The Amazing Race of Storytelling: Search for story leads to man believed to be Savannah's last shoe shiner
- Who does a government shutdown affect most? Here's what happens to the agencies Americans rely on.
- Sen. Menendez, wife indicted on bribe charges as probe finds $100,000 in gold bars, prosecutors say
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- State Dept IT contractor charged with espionage, allegedly sent classified information to Ethiopia
- The fight over Arizona’s shipping container border wall ends with dismissal of federal lawsuits
- Sophie Turner Says She Had Argument With Joe Jonas on His Birthday Before He Filed for Divorce
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Clemson, Dabo Swinney facing turning point ahead of showdown with No. 3 Florida State
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Consumer group says Mastercard is selling cardholders' data without their knowledge
- Dwyane Wade on revealing to Gabrielle Union he fathered another child: 'It was all scary'
- Black teens learn to fly and aim for careers in aviation in the footsteps of Tuskegee Airmen
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- A Taylor Swift Instagram post helped drive a surge in voter registration
- Public bus kills a 9-year-old girl and critically injures a woman crossing busy Vegas road
- Deadline day: UAW gears up to escalate strikes against Big 3 automakers
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Hollywood actor and writer strikes have broad support among Americans, AP-NORC poll shows
'DWTS' contestant Matt Walsh walks out; ABC premiere may be delayed amid Hollywood strikes
EU hits Intel with $400 million antitrust fine in long-running computer chip case
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
Prince William's Earthshot Prize announces finalists for 2023 awards
Kendall Jenner and Bad Bunny Are Giving a Front Row Seat to Their Romance at Milan Fashion Week
Massachusetts has a huge waitlist for state-funded housing. So why are 2,300 units vacant?