Current:Home > FinanceBeshear says sports wagering is off to strong start in Kentucky, with the pace about to pick up -Elevate Capital Network
Beshear says sports wagering is off to strong start in Kentucky, with the pace about to pick up
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:20:29
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Sports betting in Kentucky is off to a strong start right out of the gate, attracting more than $4.5 million in wagering since launching two weeks ago, Gov. Andy Beshear said Thursday.
And the pace will pick up significantly in a week when mobile wagering launches, he said.
Sports wagering facilities opened across the Bluegrass State on Sept. 7 in the first phase of the rollout, made possible when the Legislature finished work on a bill to legalize, regulate and tax sports wagering in late March during the final hours of its annual session. Beshear quickly signed the measure into law.
Beshear placed the first sports bet at Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby, fulfilling a pledge that his administration would launch sports wagering in time for the NFL regular season. Opening day for sports betting came on the same day as the NFL’s first game of the season.
Since the retail launch, preliminary figures show sports wagering has topped $4.5 million across Kentucky, Beshear said in an update during his regular news conference.
“This is a strong number that certainly reflects the excitement Kentuckians have for the opening of sports wagering,” the Democratic governor said. “With college football and the NFL season underway, plus the launch of mobile wagering, we expect that number will grow significantly.”
Beshear pushed to legalize sports betting throughout his term. The governor is seeking reelection this year, and his Republican challenger, Daniel Cameron, also touted what he sees as the benefits of sports wagering for Kentucky at a gubernatorial forum Wednesday night.
“I’m pleased that we have sports wagering here in the commonwealth,” Cameron said. “And I certainly think that it will have an economic benefit to our state. There’s no question about that.”
Starting Sept. 28, Kentuckians can begin placing sports wagers on their smartphones. In preparation for the mobile opening, people can create an account and deposit money into licensed mobile wagering applications. More than 60,000 mobile accounts are preregistered in the state, Beshear said.
Kentucky lawmakers established a new excise tax on sports wagering: 9.75% on the adjusted gross revenues on wagers made at a licensed facility and 14.25% on wagers placed online or on a smartphone.
Once fully implemented, sports wagering is projected to generate about $23 million in yearly revenue for the state, although some supporters predict higher amounts. Most of the revenue will flow into Kentucky’s public pension system. It also will stop the siphoning of revenue to other states where Kentuckians previously placed sports bets, supporters said.
But critics of sports betting see it as an addictive form of gambling that will hurt Kentucky families. A small percentage of sports wagering tax revenue will flow into a fund to help combat problem gambling.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Brewers, Rays have benches-clearing brawl as Jose Siri and Abner Uribe throw punches
- Yankees' Juan Soto stares down Orioles pitcher after monstrous home run
- News organizations have trust issues as they gear up to cover another election, a poll finds
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Ancestral lands of the Muscogee in Georgia would become a national park under bills in Congress
- Ex-Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel has been threatened with jail time in his divorce case
- Report: Sixers coach Nick Nurse's frustration over ref's call results in injured finger
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Jason Kelce Details Why Potential Next Career Move Serves as the Right Fit
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Nearly 50 years later, Asian American and Pacific Islander month features revelry and racial justice
- Arizona’s Democratic leaders make final push to repeal 19th century abortion ban
- Get Free IT Cosmetics Skincare & Makeup, 65% Off Good American, $400 Off iRobot & More Deals
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Clear is now enrolling people for TSA PreCheck at these airports
- Lawmakers want the Chiefs and Royals to come to Kansas, but a stadium plan fizzled
- Student protests take over some campuses. At others, attention is elsewhere
Recommendation
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
Los Angeles train crashes with USC shuttle bus, injuring 55; 2 people critical
Yankees' Juan Soto stares down Orioles pitcher after monstrous home run
Mega Millions winning numbers for April 30 drawing: Jackpot rises to $284 million
Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
'Welcome to Wrexham' Season 3: Release date, where to watch Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney's docuseries
'Succession' star Brian Cox opens up about religion, calls the Bible 'one of the worst books'
US has long history of college protests: Here's what happened in the past