Current:Home > FinanceHunter Biden prosecutor wasn’t blocked from bringing California charges, US attorney tells Congress -Elevate Capital Network
Hunter Biden prosecutor wasn’t blocked from bringing California charges, US attorney tells Congress
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 04:38:41
WASHINGTON (AP) — A second U.S. Attorney has testified to Congress that the prosecutor overseeing the Hunter Biden investigation had full authority over filing charges, rebutting whistleblower claims that Delaware U.S. Attorney David Weiss didn’t have the final say on the case against the president’s son.
The allegation that Weiss was blocked from filing tax charges in California and Washington D.C., is one of the more explosive from Internal Revenue Service Agents who testified as part of a GOP probe that the case had been “slow-walked” and mishandled by the Justice Department.
Martin Estrada, the U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles, said he told the House Judiciary Committee behind closed doors Tuesday that he understood that Weiss had full authority to bring charges and offered him logistical support. “I did not and could not ‘block’ Mr. Weiss since he did not need my approval to bring charges in my district,” he said in a statement.
That echoes testimony from Matthew Graves, the U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., who testified last week that while he declined to partner with Weiss, he never did anything to block him and instead offered logistical support.
An attorney for IRS Agent Joseph Ziegler, on the other hand, said declining to partner with Weiss amounted to blocking him from going forward with the case outside his district. Lawyers for supervisory special agent Gary Shapley said U.S. Attorneys appointed by President Joe Biden “shouldn’t have been involved at all because of their conflict of interest.”
Weiss, for his part, has also said in writing he had full authority over the case. He is scheduled to testify himself on the subject on Nov. 7. While that testimony will also take place outside the public view, speaking about an open investigation is a very unusual step that Justice Department officials have said was warranted to “correct any misrepresentations” about work done on case.
The five-year investigation into Hunter Biden had been expected to end with a plea deal this summer, but it imploded during a July plea hearing. Weiss has now charged the president’s son with three firearms felonies related to the 2018 purchase of a gun during a period Hunter Biden has acknowledged being addicted to drugs. No new tax charges have yet been filed.
The agreement had been pilloried as a “sweetheart deal” by Republicans who have made Hunter Biden’s business dealings and the Justice Department’s handling of the case a key part of an impeachment inquiry into the president.
___
Associated Press writer Farnoush Amiri contributed to this report.
veryGood! (775)
Related
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- 'Take care': Utah executes Taberon Dave Honie in murder of then-girlfriend's mother
- 2024 Olympics: Canadian Pole Vaulter Alysha Newman Twerks After Winning Medal
- 1 Mississippi police officer is killed and another is wounded in shooting in small town
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Alabama man faces a third murder charge in Oklahoma
- Taylor Swift cancels Vienna Eras tour concerts after two arrested in alleged terror plot
- Maui remembers the 102 lost in the Lahaina wildfire with a paddle out 1 year after devastating blaze
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- USA basketball pulls off furious comeback to beat Serbia: Olympics highlights
Ranking
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Nina Dobrev Details Struggle With Depression After Bike Accident
- Utah bans 13 books at schools, including popular “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series, under new law
- Who is Nick Mead? Rower makes history as Team USA flag bearer at closing ceremony with Katie Ledecky
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- 2 arrested in suspected terrorist plot at Taylor Swift's upcoming concerts
- Chicago White Sox, with MLB-worst 28-89 record, fire manager Pedro Grifol
- Handlers help raise half-sister patas monkeys born weeks apart at an upstate New York zoo
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
'A Good Girl's Guide to Murder' is now on Netflix: Get to know the original books
Nick Viall Fiercely Defends Rachel Lindsay Against “Loser” Ex Bryan Abasolo
Prompted by mass shooting, 72-hour wait period and other new gun laws go into effect in Maine
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Kendall Jenner's Summer Photo Diary Features a Cheeky Bikini Shot
In late response, Vatican ‘deplores the offense’ of Paris Olympics’ opening ceremony tableau
2024 Olympics: Swimmers Are Fighting Off Bacteria From Seine River by Drinking Coca-Cola