Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|New York Attorney General Letitia James opposes company holding Trump's $175 million bond in civil fraud case -Elevate Capital Network
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|New York Attorney General Letitia James opposes company holding Trump's $175 million bond in civil fraud case
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:08:38
New York Attorney General Letitia James on Surpassing Quant Think Tank CenterFriday filed a memorandum of opposition to the surety company that holds the $175 million bond for former President Donald Trump as he appeals the $460 million decision against him in the civil fraud trial earlier this year.
The attorney general's office says it is concerned about the financials of the bondholder, Knight Specialty Insurance company, and the collateral for the bond.
The $175 million in cash that Trump claims to have provided as collateral in a bank account is in the DJT Revocable Trust and not under Knight's control, as it should be, the attorney general's office argued. Because Trump still has access to the funds, he's still able to make withdrawals, or replace the funds with other assets that could fluctuate with the markets. And if the value drops below $175 million, the bond is no longer secured, according to the attorney general.
The state is concerned that if Trump continues to control the account, he could make money on the bond deal, earning interest that exceeds the fees he owes to Knight for posting the bond.
Should Trump lose on appeal, and if he doesn't pay, Knight would be obligated to pay the $175 million bond. The attorney general's memorandum argued that Knight falls short on several requirements for a surety bondholder.
As CBS News has reported, Knight doesn't appear to meet a restriction under New York insurance law barring companies from putting more than 10% of its capital at risk, and the attorney general's office noted that Knight has a surplus of only $138 million. Under New York law, given that amount of surplus, it may not take on liability of more than $13.8 million. The attorney general also said that Knight relies on risk transfer practices that work to "artificially" bolster its surplus. James also argues that Knight's management is untrustworthy, violating federal law "on multiple occasions over the last several years.
Representatives for Trump did not immediately return requests for comment.
The state asked the court to require Trump to come up with a replacement within seven days of its ruling on the matter. A hearing on this issue is scheduled for Monday.
- In:
- Fraud
- Donald Trump
- Letitia James
- New York
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (92)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Police investigate deaths of 5 people in New York City suburb
- 18-year-old fatally struck by boat propeller in New Jersey, police say
- ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Alien’ top charts again as ‘Blink Twice’ sees quiet opening
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Dr. Anthony Fauci recovering after hospitalization from West Nile virus
- Traveling over Labor Day weekend? Have a back-up plan for cancellations and delays, and be patient
- Zoë Kravitz says Beyoncé was 'so supportive' of that 'Blink Twice' needle drop
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Lake Mary, Florida, rallies to beat Taiwan 2-1 in 8 innings to win Little League World Series title
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- 'Bachelorette' heads to Hawaii for second-to-last episode: Who's left, how to watch
- Layne Riggs injures himself celebrating his first NASCAR Truck Series win
- Judge to hear arguments over whether to dismiss Arizona’s fake elector case
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- DeSantis’ plan to develop state parks faces setback as golf course backer pulls out
- Trump would veto legislation establishing a federal abortion ban, Vance says
- Schools are competing with cell phones. Here’s how they think they could win
Recommendation
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Israel and Hezbollah exchange heavy fire, raising fears of an all-out regional war
Lando Norris outruns Max Verstappen to win F1 Dutch Grand Prix
Can dogs see color? The truth behind your pet's eyesight.
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
The Bachelorette’s Andi Dorfman and Husband Blaine Hart Reveal Sex of First Baby
Polaris Dawn civilian crew prepares to head to orbit on SpaceX craft: How to watch
Nevada men face trial for allegedly damaging ancient rock formations at Lake Mead recreation area