Current:Home > reviewsPrince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge -Elevate Capital Network
Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail over $60K in legal fees following failed court challenge
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 02:41:37
LONDON — A judge ordered Prince Harry on Monday to pay more than $60,000 in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The $60,927 in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Prince Harry challenges decisionto strip him of security after move to US with Meghan
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent $2.1 million to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to $949,000.
From phone hacking to aerial photos:What to know about all of Prince Harry's lawsuits
veryGood! (478)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Fracking Study Finds Toxins in Wyoming Town’s Groundwater and Raises Broader Concerns
- GM to Be First in U.S. to Air Condition Autos with Climate Friendly Coolant
- High up in the mountains, goats and sheep faced off over salt. Guess who won
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Beyond Condoms!
- Beyoncé's Makeup Artist Sir John Shares His Best-Kept Beauty Secrets
- Cory Booker on Climate Change: Where the Candidate Stands
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Offset and Princesses Kulture and Kalea Have Daddy-Daughter Date at The Little Mermaid Premiere
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- After State Rejects Gas Pipeline Permit, Utility Pushes Back. One Result: New Buildings Go Electric.
- Today’s Climate: July 22, 2010
- A Heat Wave Left Arctic Sea Ice Near a Record Winter Low. This Town Is Paying the Price.
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Can a Climate Conscious Diet Include Meat or Dairy?
- Nick Cannon Calls Out Deadbeat Dad Claims as He Shares How Much Money He Makes in a Year
- InsideClimate News Wins SPJ Award for ‘Choke Hold’ Infographics
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Don't Be Tardy Looking Back at Kim Zolciak and Kroy Biermann's Romance Before Breakup
Biden administration to appoint anti-book ban coordinator as part of new LGBTQ protections
What’s Eating Away at the Greenland Ice Sheet?
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
They inhaled asbestos for decades on the job. Now, workers break their silence
Below Deck Alum Kate Chastain Addresses Speculation About the Father of Her Baby
Sum 41 Announces Band's Breakup After 27 Years Together