Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-On 3rd anniversary, Beirut port blast probe blocked by intrigue and even the death toll is disputed -Elevate Capital Network
TradeEdge-On 3rd anniversary, Beirut port blast probe blocked by intrigue and even the death toll is disputed
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 06:56:42
BEIRUT (AP) — Three years after Beirut’s massive port blast,TradeEdge attempts to prosecute those responsible are mired in political intrigue, the final death toll remains disputed and many Lebanese have less faith than ever in their disintegrating state institutions.
As the country marks the anniversary Friday, relatives of some of those killed are still struggling to get their loved ones recognized as blast victims, reflecting the ongoing chaos since the Aug. 4, 2020 explosion. The blast killed at least 218 people, according to an Associated Press count, wounded more than 6,000, devastated large swaths of Beirut and caused billions of dollars in damages.
Among those not recognized as a blast victim is a five-month-old boy, Qusai Ramadan, a child of Syrian refugees. His parents say he was killed when the explosion toppled the ceiling and a cupboard in his hospital room, crushing him. The parents have been unable to get the infant added to the official death list, a move that could have made them eligible for future compensation.
They accused the authorities of discriminating against victims who are not Lebanese.
Meanwhile, the blast anniversary brought renewed calls for an international investigation of those responsible, including top officials who allowed hundreds of tons of highly flammable ammonium nitrate, a material used in fertilizers, to be improperly stored for years at a warehouse in the port.
Lebanese and international organizations, survivors and families of victims sent such an appeal to the U.N. Rights Council, saying that “on third anniversary of the explosion, we are no closer to justice and accountability for the catastrophe.”
Maan, a Lebanese group advocating for victims and survivors, put the death toll at 236, significantly higher than the government’s count of 191. The authorities stopped counting the dead a month after the blast, even as some of the severely wounded died in the subsequent period.
Among those listed by Maan Initiative is Qusai, the Syrian infant.
Qusai had been undergoing treatment for a severe liver condition and was transferred to a government hospital near the port about a week before the explosion. Hospital staff said the infant needed a liver transplant and was in critical condition.
On the day of the blast, Qusai’s aunt, Noura Mohammed, was sitting at his bedside while his mother rested at home. The aunt said the staff ordered everyone to evacuate immediately after the explosion, and that she found the infant dead, crushed by fallen debris, when she returned.
Hospital officials said Qusai died an hour after the explosion, with the death certificate listing cardio respiratory arrest as the cause. The family buried him a day later.
“We asked them (the authorities) to register my son among the victims of the blast,” his mother, Sarah Jassem Mohammed, said in a recent interview in a small tent in an orchard in the northern Lebanese village of Markabta where she lives with her husband, two sons and one daughter. “They refused.”
Lebanon is home to more than 1 million Syrian refugees, who make about 20% of the country’s population. A Lebanese group, the Anti-Racism Movement, said that among those killed in the blast were at least 76 non-Lebanese citizens, including 52 Syrians.
Meanwhile, many in Lebanon have been losing faith in the domestic investigation and some have started filing cases abroad against companies suspected of bringing in the ammonium nitrate.
The chemicals had been shipped to Lebanon in 2013. Senior political and security officials knew of their presence and potential danger but did nothing.
Lebanese and non-Lebanese victims alike have seen justice delayed, with the investigation stalled since December 2021. Lebanon’s powerful and corrupt political class has repeatedly intervened in the work of the judiciary.
In January, Lebanon’s top prosecutor Ghassan Oueidat ordered the release of all suspects detained in the investigation.
“The political class have used every tool at their disposal - both legal and extra legal - to undermine, obstruct, and block the domestic investigation into the blast,” said Aya Majzoub, deputy chief for the Mideast and North Africa at the rights group Amnesty International.
Makhoul Mohammed, 40, a Syrian citizen, was lightly injured in the blast in his Beirut apartment while his daughter Sama, who was six at the time, lost her left eye.
Mohammed, who settled in Canada last year, said he plans to sue those responsible for the explosion in a Canadian court.
“The (domestic) investigation will not lead to results as long as this political class is running the country,” he said.
veryGood! (93)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Senators demand accounting of rapid closure plan for California prison where women were abused
- Marvin Harrison Jr., Joe Alt among 2024 NFL draft prospects with football family ties
- Is cereal good for you? Watch out for the added sugars in these brands.
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Charlie Woods attempting to qualify for 2024 US Open at Florida event
- Charlie Woods attempting to qualify for 2024 US Open at Florida event
- Why Gwyneth Paltrow Is Having Nervous Breakdown Over This Milestone With Kids Apple and Moses
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Why Gwyneth Paltrow Is Having Nervous Breakdown Over This Milestone With Kids Apple and Moses
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Broadway review: In Steve Carell’s ‘Uncle Vanya,’ Chekhov’s gun fires blanks
- Maple Leafs' Sheldon Keefe: Bruins' Brad Marchand 'elite' at getting away with penalties
- 'Call Her Daddy' host Alex Cooper marries Matt Kaplan in destination wedding
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- 5 things workers should know about the new federal ban on noncompete agreements
- Jennifer Love Hewitt Shares What’s “Strange” About Being a Mom
- New California rule aims to limit health care cost increases to 3% annually
Recommendation
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
Russia extends Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich's pretrial detention yet again
Amanda Seales reflects on relationship with 'Insecure' co-star Issa Rae, talks rumored feud
Long-term coal power plants must control 90% of their carbon pollution, new EPA rules say
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
Inflation surge has put off rate cuts, hurt stocks. Will it still slow in 2024?
Biden meets 4-year-old Abigail Edan, an American who was held hostage by Hamas
Army reservist who warned about Maine killer before shootings to testify before investigators