Current:Home > MarketsGovernor suspends right to carry firearms in public in this city due to gun violence -Elevate Capital Network
Governor suspends right to carry firearms in public in this city due to gun violence
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:21:28
New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has temporarily banned the right to carry firearms in public in Albuquerque in response to recent gun violence.
Lujan Grisham issued on Friday a 30-day suspension of open and concealed carry laws in Bernalillo County, where Albuquerque, the state's most populous city, is seated. There are exceptions for law enforcement officers and licensed security guards.
The move comes a day after she declared gun violence a public health emergency in the state.
"[The] time for standard measures has passed," Lujan Grisham said in a statement. "And when New Mexicans are afraid to be in crowds, to take their kids to school, to leave a baseball game -- when their very right to exist is threatened by the prospect of violence at every turn -- something is very wrong."
The Democratic governor cited the recent shooting deaths of three children in her decision to declare gun violence a public health emergency. Most recently, an 11-year-old boy was fatally shot outside a minor league baseball stadium in Albuquerque on Wednesday during a possible road rage incident, police said.
MORE: Texas shooting highlights how guns are the leading cause of death for US kids
On July 28, a 13-year-old girl was fatally shot by a 14-year-old while at a friend's house in the Village of Questa, state police said. On Aug. 14, a 5-year-old girl was fatally shot while sleeping at a residence in Albuquerque after someone fired into the trailer home, police said.
Gun violence is the leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 19 in New Mexico, Lujan Grisham said.
The governor also noted two mass shootings that occurred in the state this year among the recent spate of gun violence.
Three people were killed and six others injured, including two police officers, after an 18-year-old gunman opened fire in Farmington over a nearly quarter-mile stretch of the neighborhood on May 15, police said.
Later that month, three people were killed and five injured after a biker gang shootout erupted in Red River over Memorial Day weekend, police said.
The suspension of open and concealed carry laws pertains to cities or counties averaging 1,000 or more violent crimes per 100,000 residents per year since 2021 and more than 90 firearm-related emergency department visits per 100,000 residents from July 2022 to June 2023, according to the order. Bernalillo County and Albuquerque are the only two places in the state right now that meet those standards.
"Any person or entity who willfully violates this order may be subject to civil administrative penalties available at law," the order states.
MORE: There have been more mass shootings than days in 2023, database shows
The governor anticipates legal challenges to the order.
"I can invoke additional powers," Lujan Grisham said when signing the order on Friday. "No constitutional right, in my view, including my oath, is intended to be absolute."
New Mexico Shooting Sports Association President Zachary Fort told ABC Albuquerque affiliate KOAT the organization is planning to challenge the order, citing the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last year in a major Second Amendment case.
"What the governor tried to do flies directly in the face of the [New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen] decision by the Supreme Court, where they found that you have a constitutionally protected right to carry a firearm outside your own home," Fort told the station. "The Supreme Court said that very clearly in their Bruen decision. So, it's clearly contradictory to that."
veryGood! (52557)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Judith Jamison, a dancer both eloquent and elegant, led Ailey troupe to success over two decades
- Sister Wives’ Madison Brush Details Why She Went “No Contact” With Dad Kody Brown
- What to know about Mississippi Valley State football player Ryan Quinney, who died Friday
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- AP Top 25: Oregon remains No. 1 as Big Ten grabs 4 of top 5 spots; Georgia, Miami out of top 10
- Deebo Samuel explains 'out of character' sideline altercation with 49ers long snapper, kicker
- 1 monkey captured, 42 monkeys still on the loose after escaping research facility in SC
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Stocks soared on news of Trump's election. Bonds sank. Here's why.
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Michael Jordan and driver Tyler Reddick come up short in bid for NASCAR championship
- Pistons' Ausar Thompson cleared to play after missing 8 months with blood clot
- Colts' Kenny Moore II ridicules team's effort in loss to Bills
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Northern Taurid meteor shower hits peak activity this week: When and where to watch
- Younghoo Koo takes blame for Falcons loss to Saints: 'This game is fully on me'
- Kelly Rowland and Nelly Reunite for Iconic Performance of Dilemma 2 Decades Later
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Man charged with murder in fatal shooting of 2 workers at Chicago’s Navy Pier
Singles' Day vs. Black Friday: Which Has the Best Deals for Smart Shoppers?
Melissa Gilbert recalls 'painful' final moment with 'Little House' co-star Michael Landon
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Trump is likely to name a loyalist as Pentagon chief after tumultuous first term
Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought
Rita Ora pays tribute to Liam Payne at MTV Europe Music Awards: 'He brought so much joy'