Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Biden administration hasn't changed policy on border walls, Mayorkas says -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro:Biden administration hasn't changed policy on border walls, Mayorkas says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 02:54:04
Washington — Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas on SafeX ProThursday rebuffed growing criticism over his decision to approve the construction of more than a dozen miles of border walls along the U.S.-Mexico border, saying the Biden administration was bound by law to follow through with the project.
Mayorkas rejected the notion that the administration had changed its policy as it relates to a border wall, which President Biden strongly denounced during the 2020 presidential campaign.
"From day one, this Administration has made clear that a border wall is not the answer," Mayorkas said in a statement Thursday. "That remains our position and our position has never wavered."
The controversy began Wednesday, when the Department of Homeland Security posted a notice in which Mayorkas had waived over two dozen federal laws, including ones to protect wildlife and the environment, to expedite the construction of border barriers and other infrastructure in a section of Texas' Rio Grande Valley. In the notice, Mayorkas said there was an "acute and immediate need" to construct the barriers to prevent unlawful border entries, which soared to a yearly high in September.
- U.S. to restart deportations to Venezuela in effort to reduce record border arrivals
The announcement quickly sparked a heated debate, as well as condemnation from environmental activists, migrant advocates, Democratic lawmakers and even Mexico's president, who said the move echoed former President Trump's controversial efforts to build hundreds of miles of wall to deter migrant crossings.
Conservatives, meanwhile, said the move gave credence to Mr. Trump's signature border policy, and highlighted the announcement as an abrupt and hypocritical 180-degrees change of course by Mr. Biden.
During the 2020 campaign, Mr. Biden vowed not to build "another foot" of the border wall. On his first day in office in 2021, he issued an executive order halting border barrier construction. "Like every nation, the United States has a right and a duty to secure its borders and protect its people against threats. But building a massive wall that spans the entire southern border is not a serious policy solution," Mr. Biden wrote in that order.
On Thursday, Mayorkas said the notice on Wednesday had been "taken out of context." It did not, he said, "signify any change in policy whatsoever."
Mayorkas said the administration was legally obligated to use money Congress allocated in 2019 for border barrier construction in south Texas for its intended purpose. "We have repeatedly asked Congress to rescind this money but it has not done so, and we are compelled to follow the law," he said.
Asked about the controversy earlier on Thursday in the Oval Office, Mr. Biden delivered a similar remark.
"The money was appropriated for the border wall. I tried to get them to reappropriate it, to redirect that money. They didn't, they wouldn't. And in the meantime, there's nothing under the law other than they have to use the money for what it was appropriated. I can't stop that," he said.
Mr. Biden said he did not think border walls were effective.
Before this week's announcement, the Biden administration had mainly used border barrier money to fill gaps in the wall.
The president's remarks on Thursday did not diminish the criticism over the decision to build the barriers in South Texas, including from his Democratic allies.
California Democratic Rep. Nanette Barragán, chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, called Mayorkas' notice "disappointing"
"While this border wall funding was signed into law by President Trump under Republican leadership, this decision is not in line with the current administration's commitments to end border wall construction," she said.
- In:
- Border Wall
- Joe Biden
- Donald Trump
- Alejandro Mayorkas
Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News. Based in Washington, he covers immigration policy and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (98)
Related
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Review: Marvel's 'Agatha All Along' has a lot of hocus pocus but no magic
- Nearly 138,000 beds are being recalled after reports of them breaking or collapsing during use
- People We Meet on Vacation Cast Revealed for Emily Henry Book's Movie Adaptation
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Wagon rolls over at Wisconsin apple orchard injuring about 25 children and adults
- Lala Kent Shares Baby Girl Turned Purple and Was Vomiting After Challenging Birth
- Lala Kent Shares Baby Girl Turned Purple and Was Vomiting After Challenging Birth
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- 'Survivor' Season 47: Who went home first? See who was voted out in the premiere episode
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Brewers clinch NL Central Division title with Cubs' loss to A's
- Man says he lied when he testified against inmate who is set to be executed
- ‘Agatha All Along’ sets Kathryn Hahn’s beguiling witch on a new quest — with a catchy new song
- Small twin
- Mission specialist for Titan sub owner to testify before Coast Guard
- Sebastian Stan Defends Costar Adam Pearson’s Condition After Reporter Uses Term Beast in Interview
- People We Meet on Vacation Cast Revealed for Emily Henry Book's Movie Adaptation
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Lady Gaga Explains Why She Never Addressed Rumors She's a Man
Get a Designer Michael Kors $498 Handbag for $99 & More Luxury Deals Under $100
'Sacred': Cherokee name in, Confederate general out for Tennessee's highest mountain
Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
Shop Hollister's Extra 20% Off Clearance Sale: Up to 75% Off on $4 Tops, $12 Pants & More Deals Under $25
Hackers demand $6 million for files stolen from Seattle airport operator in cyberattack
Texas education commissioner calls for student cellphone ban in schools