Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Boeing machinists are holding a contract vote that could end their 7-week strike -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro Exchange|Boeing machinists are holding a contract vote that could end their 7-week strike
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 04:02:23
Unionized factory workers at Boeing are SafeX Pro Exchangevoting Monday whether to accept a contract offer or to continue their strike, which has lasted more than seven weeks and shut down production of most Boeing passenger planes.
A vote to ratify the contract would clear the way for the aerospace giant to resume airplane production and bring in much-needed cash. If members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers vote for a third time to reject Boeing’s offer, it would plunge the company into further financial peril and uncertainty.
In its latest proposed contract, Boeing is offering pay raises of 38% over four years, as well as ratification and productivity bonuses. IAM District 751, which represents Boeing workers in the Pacific Northwest, endorsed the proposal, which is slightly more generous than one the machinists voted down nearly two weeks ago.
“It is time for our members to lock in these gains and confidently declare victory,” the union district said in scheduling Monday’s vote. “We believe asking members to stay on strike longer wouldn’t be right as we have achieved so much success.”
Union officials said they think they have gotten all they can though negotiations and a strike, and that if the current proposal is rejected, future offers from Boeing might be worse. They expect to announce the result of the vote Monday night.
Boeing has adamantly rejected requests to restore traditional pensions that the company froze nearly a decade ago. Pensions were a key issue for workers who voted down previous offers in September and October.
If machinists ratify the latest offer, they would return to work by Nov. 12, according to the union.
The strike began Sept. 13 with an overwhelming 94.6% rejection of Boeing’s offer to raise pay by 25% over four years — far less than the union’s original demand for 40% wage increases over three years.
Machinists voted down another offer — 35% raises over four years, but still no revival of pensions — on Oct. 23, the same day Boeing reported a third-quarter loss of more than $6 billion. However, the offer received 36% support, up from 5% for the mid-September proposal, making Boeing leaders believe they were close to a deal.
Boeing says average annual pay for machinists is $75,608 and would rise to $119,309 in four years under the current offer.
In addition to a slightly larger pay increases, the proposed contract includes a $12,000 contract ratification bonus, up from $7,000 in the previous offer, and larger company contributions to employees’ 401(k) retirement accounts.
Boeing also promises to build its next airline plane in the Seattle area. Union officials fear the company may withdraw the pledge if workers reject the new offer.
The strike drew the attention of the Biden administration. Acting Labor Secretary Julie Su intervened in the talks several times, including last week.
The labor standoff — the first strike by Boeing machinists since an eight-week walkout in 2008 — is the latest setback in a volatile year for the company.
Boeing came under several federal investigations after a door plug blew off a 737 Max plane during an Alaska Airlines flight in January. Federal regulators put limits on Boeing airplane production that they said would last until they felt confident about manufacturing safety at the company.
The door plug incident renewed concerns about the safety of the 737 Max. Two of the plane’s crashed less than five months apart in 2018 and 2019, killing 346 people. The CEO whose effort to fix the company failed announced in March that he would step down. In July, Boeing agreed to plead guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud for deceiving regulators who approved the 737 Max.
As the strike dragged on, new CEO Kelly Ortberg announced about 17,000 layoffs and a stock sale to prevent the company’s credit rating from being cut to junk status. S&P and Fitch Ratings said last week that the $24.3 billion in stock and other securities will cover upcoming debt payments and reduce the risk of a credit downgrade.
The strike has created a cash crunch by depriving Boeing of money it gets when delivering new planes to airlines. The walkout at Seattle-area factories stopped production of the 737 Max, Boeing’s best-selling plane, and the 777 or “triple-seven” jet and the cargo-carrying version of its 767 plane.
Ortberg has conceded that trust in Boeing has declined, the company has too much debt, and “serious lapses in our performance” have disappointed many airline customers. But, he says, the company’s strengths include a backlog of airplane orders valued at a half-trillion dollars.
veryGood! (885)
Related
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Israeli media, also traumatized by Hamas attack, become communicators of Israel’s message
- Diamondbacks can't walk fine line, blow World Series Game 1: 'Don't let those guys beat you'
- 'Friends' star Matthew Perry dies at age 54, reports say
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Alabama’s forgotten ‘first road’ gets a new tourism focus
- San Diego ranks as most expensive US city with LA and Santa Barbara in the top five
- Shooting kills 2 and injures 18 victims in Florida street with hundreds of people nearby
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Maine's close-knit deaf community loses 4 beloved members in mass shooting
Ranking
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- New Mexico Better Newspaper Contest Winners
- Live updates | Israeli military intensifies strikes on Gaza including underground targets
- Severe drought in the Amazon reveals millennia-old carvings
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Fed up with mass shootings, mayors across nation call for gun reform after 18 killed in Maine
- Mexico assessing Hurricane Otis devastation as Acapulco reels
- Proof Taylor Swift's Game Day Fashion Will Never Go Out of Style
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Former Rangers owner George W. Bush throws first pitch before World Series Game 1 in Texas
Matthew Perry Dead at 54: Relive His Extraordinarily Full Life in Pictures
Adel Omran, Associated Press video producer in Libya, dies at 46
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Macron vows to enshrine women’s rights to abortion in French Constitution in 2024
African tortoise reunites with its owner after being missing for 3 years in Florida
It's been one year since Elon Musk bought Twitter. Now called X, the service has lost advertisers and users.