Current:Home > StocksGarth Brooks Returns to Las Vegas Stage Amid Sexual Assault Allegations -Elevate Capital Network
Garth Brooks Returns to Las Vegas Stage Amid Sexual Assault Allegations
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:53:07
For Garth Brooks, the show will go on.
Hours after the country singer was accused of sexual assault and battery in a lawsuit filed by his former makeup artist and hairstylist, he took the stage in Las Vegas to continue his current tour.
"If there was ever a night that I really needed this, TONIGHT was that night," Brooks wrote on Instagram Oct. 3, alongside a photo of the audience at his residency at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. "Thank you for my life!!!!!"
Prior to the show, the "Friends in Low Places" singer—who has been married to wife Trisha Yearwood since 2005—broke his silence in a message denying the allegations and accused the unnamed woman of extortion.
"For the last two months, I have been hassled to no end with threats, lies, and tragic tales of what my future would be if I did not write a check for many millions of dollars," he said in a statement to E! News Oct. 3. "It has been like having a loaded gun waved in my face. Hush money, no matter how much or how little, is still hush money."
He added, "In my mind, that means I am admitting to behavior I am incapable of—ugly acts no human should ever do to another."
"I want to play music tonight. I want to continue our good deeds going forward," he continued. "It breaks my heart these wonderful things are in question now. I trust the system, I do not fear the truth, and I am not the man they have painted me to be."
The lawsuit obtained by E! News, which refers to Brooks' former employee as "Jane Roe" alleges that the singer knew she was "experiencing financial difficulties" and that he seized the "opportunity to subject a female employee to a side of Brooks that he conceals from the public."
Roe says the 62-year-old sexually assaulted her on multiple occasions in 2019, including that Brooks raped her during a work trip for that year's Grammy Awards after booking a room for them to share without her consent.
At the time, the lawsuit says, Roe felt "trapped in the room alone with Brooks, with no one to help and far away from Nashville" when Brooks "appeared in the doorway to the bedroom, completely naked."
She also says that Brooks—who shares daughters Taylor, 32, August, 30, and Allie, 28, with ex Sandra Mahl—exposed his genitals to her multiple times, disclosed sexual fantasies with her and sent sexually explicit text messages.
Roe—who started working for Yearwood in 1999 and began doing Brooks’ hair and makeup in 2017—stopped working for the couple around May 2021.
Although his message was his first public statement regarding the allegations, the singer previously denied the accusations and filed a motion to proceed with a legal case under “John Doe” to protect his identity.
“We filed suit against this person nearly a month ago to speak out against extortion and defamation of character," Brooks said in the statement to E! News. "We filed it anonymously for the sake of families on both sides."
According to documents obtained by CNN, the singer's filing says that Roe "is well aware of the substantial, irreparable damage such false allegations would do to Plaintiff's well-earned reputation as a decent and caring person" and if she filed her "fabricated lawsuit."
In response, Roe's attorneys shared that their client would move forward with her lawsuit.
"We applaud our client's courage in moving forward with her complaint against Garth Brooks," the lawyers noted in a statement to NBC News. "The complaint filed today demonstrates that sexual predators exist not only in corporate America, Hollywood and in the rap and rock and roll industries but also in the world of country music."
(E! News and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (2)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Caitlin Clark's rise parallels Tiger's early brilliance, from talent to skeptics
- 9-Year-Old Boy Found Dead in Arizona Home Filled With Spiders and Gallons of Apparent Urine
- Missouri Supreme Court clears way for release of woman imprisoned for library worker's 1980 murder
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Highlights from the 2024 Republican National Convention
- Mississippi’s new Episcopal bishop is first woman and first Black person in that role
- Political divisions stall proposed gun policies in Pennsylvania, where assassin took aim at Trump
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- California judge halts hearing in fight between state agricultural giant and farmworkers’ union
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Laneige Is 30% Off Post-Prime Day in Case You Missed Picks From Alix Earle, Sydney Sweeney & More Celebs
- Rust armorer wants conviction tossed in wake of dropping of Baldwin charges
- 'Skywalkers' looks at dangerous sport of climbing tall buildings, illegally
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- In a California gold rush town, some Black families are fighting for land taken from their ancestors
- America's billionaires are worth a record $6T. Where does that leave the rest of us?
- Sundance Film Festival narrows down host cities — from Louisville to Santa Fe — for future years
Recommendation
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Julia Fox’s Brunette Hair Transformation Will Have You Doing a Double Take
Kansas won’t force providers to ask patients why they want abortions while a lawsuit proceeds
JoJo Siwa Makes Comment About Taylor Swift After Breaking Record for Most Disliked Female Music Video
US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
Taylor Swift's Alleged Stalker, Accused of Threatening Travis Kelce, Arrested at Germany Eras Tour
Alabama names Bryant-Denny Stadium field after Nick Saban
Clark, Reese on same team at WNBA All-Star weekend and in spotlight in matchup against Olympic team