Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Police Weigh in on Taylor Swift's London Concerts After Alleged Terror Attack Plot Foiled in Vienna -Elevate Capital Network
EchoSense:Police Weigh in on Taylor Swift's London Concerts After Alleged Terror Attack Plot Foiled in Vienna
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 08:06:51
Taylor Swift's concerts in London will go on.
While the “Blank Space” singer's three shows in Vienna were canceled in the wake of a foiled potential terror attack,EchoSense five shows at Wembley Stadium will take place as scheduled, according to London Metropolitan Police.
"The Met works closely with venue security teams and other partners to ensure there are appropriate security and policing plans in place," a spokesperson for the organization told multiple outlets. "There is nothing to indicate that the matters being investigated by the Austrian authorities will have an impact on upcoming events here in London."
The spokesperson added, "As always, we will continue to keep any new information under careful review."
Swift will close out the European leg of her Eras Tour in Wembley, playing five shows from Aug. 15 to Aug. 20.
The confirmation of Swift’s upcoming concerts comes as new information regarding the foiled terror plot continues to emerge.
On Aug. 6, authorities in Austria arrested an Austrian man, 19, over an alleged plot to carry out a suicide attack at a Swift concert in Vienna, which prompted the cancellation of all three of her upcoming shows in the city's Ernst-Happel-Stadion soccer stadium, which were to take place between Aug. 8 and Aug. 10 and draw an estimated 170,000 fans.
"I'm sure Vienna has got its own reasons to cancel the Taylor Swift concerts," London Mayor Sadiq Khan told Sky News. "We're going to carry on, working closely with police [and] ensuring that the Taylor Swift concerts can take place in London safely."
The suspect of the foiled Vienna attack had confessed that he had planned to kill himself and a large number of other people with knives and explosive devices, Austrian officials said in a press conference Aug. 8.
The man, an Austrian citizen with North Macedonian roots, had downloaded manuals for bomb building and authorities found knives, a machete, hydrogen peroxide, homemade explosives, detonators and detonator cables at his apartment, Omar Haijawi-Pirchner, director of Austria's domestic intelligence service, told reporters.
The suspect had been planning to attack the tens of thousands of Swift fans expected to gather outside the stadium in Vienna, Haijawi-Pirchner said at the press conference, per Reuters.
Haijawi-Pirchner added that the suspect had consumed radical Islamist propaganda, mainly from Islamic State and Al Qaeda. The official also told Austria’s public broadcaster ORF that the man had uploaded an oath of allegiance to the current leader of Islamic State to an internet account just a few weeks ago, NBC News reported.
In addition to the 19-year-old, police detained two other Austrians aged 17 and 15 in connection with the reported attack plot. Haijawi-Pirchner told reporters Islamic State and Al Qaeda material was found at the home of the older teen, who he said was employed for some days by a company that was to provide unspecified services at the venue for the Swift concerts, NBC News said.
"We have prevented a terrorist attack by a suicide bomber," Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer said, via German translation, on X. It is a success that we have prevented any deaths."
Islamic State, also known as ISIS, had claimed responsibility for a 2017 suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in the U.K. city that killed 22 people, including children, and injured more than 200.
London's mayor said they were "looking forward to welcoming Taylor Swift back" to his city, where she had performed three concerts in June, when she was joined on and off stage by boyfriend Travis Kelce.
"We have a huge amount of experience in policing these events, we're never complacent," Khan said. "Many lessons were learnt after the awful Manchester Arena attack."
News of the foiled attack plot in Austria comes a week after a man, who recently turned 18, was arrested for allegedly killing three girls at a Swift-themed dance class in Southport. He faces three counts of murder plus 10 counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a bladed article over the fatal stabbing. The motive for the attack has not been released.
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (25511)
Related
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- A populist ex-premier who opposes support for Ukraine leads his leftist party to victory in Slovakia
- Tim Wakefield, longtime Boston Red Sox knuckleball pitcher, dies at 57
- NASCAR Talladega playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for YellaWood 500
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- McCaffrey scores 4 TDs to lead the 49ers past the Cardinals 35-16
- The UK defense secretary suggests British training of Ukrainian soldiers could move into Ukraine
- 7 sets of remains exhumed, 59 graves found after latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Kansas police chief suspended in wake of police raid on local newspaper
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Brain cells, interrupted: How some genes may cause autism, epilepsy and schizophrenia
- Roof of a church collapses during a Mass in northern Mexico, trapping about 30 people in the rubble
- Polish opposition leader Donald Tusk seeks to boost his election chances with a rally in Warsaw
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- European soccer body UEFA’s handling of Russia and Rubiales invites scrutiny on values and process
- How researchers are using AI to save rainforest species
- Chicago Bears' woes deepen as Denver Broncos rally to erase 21-point deficit
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
In New York City, scuba divers’ passion for the sport becomes a mission to collect undersea litter
Emergency services on scene after more than 30 trapped in church roof collapse
Buck Showalter says he will not return as New York Mets manager
British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
Washington state raises minimum wage to $16.28. See where your state lies.
Washington officers on trial in deadly arrest of Manny Ellis, a case reminiscent of George Floyd
Watch every touchdown from Bills' win over Dolphins and Cowboys' victory over Patriots