Current:Home > InvestNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism -Elevate Capital Network
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:57:47
Elon Musk has deleted a post on NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Centerhis social media platform X in which he said “no one is even trying to assassinate” President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris in the wake of an apparent assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump while he was playing golf.
Musk, who has nearly 200 million followers on the social media site he bought for $44 billion in 2022, has increasingly embraced conservative ideologies in recent years and endorsed Trump for president.
While he has removed posts in the past, Musk has also kept up and even doubled down on other such inflammatory comments. Last week, he made a joke about impregnating Taylor Swift after the singer posted an endorsement for Harris.
Early Monday, after taking down the post about the apparent Trump assassination, the 53-year-old billionaire wrote on the platform: “Well, one lesson I’ve learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn’t mean it’s going to be all that hilarious as a post on X.”
The original post was in response to DogeDesigner, one of the 700 accounts that Musk follows, who asked: “Why they want to kill Donald Trump?”
Musk’s reply was quickly condemned by many X users, and “DeportElonMusk” began trending on X on Monday morning.
“Violence should only be condemned, never encouraged or joked about,” said White House spokesperson Andrew Bates in response to Musk’s post. “This rhetoric is irresponsible.”
The Tesla CEO has previously posted conspiracy theories and feuded with world leaders and politicians. X is currently banned in Brazil amid a dustup between Musk and a Brazilian Supreme Court judge over free speech, far-right accounts and misinformation.
He’s also received criticism in the past for what critics said were posts encouraging violence.
Last month, for instance, the British government called on Musk to act responsibly after he used X to unleash a barrage of posts that officials said risked inflaming violent unrest gripping the country.
Musk said when he bought the platform then known as Twitter that protecting free speech — not money — was his motivation because, as he put it, “having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization.”
Sarah Kreps, director of Cornell University’s Tech Policy Institute, noted that Musk has long been trying to “push the boundaries of free speech, in part by engaging in impulsive, unfiltered comments on a range of political topics.”
——
Associated Press Writer Chris Megerian contributed to this story from Washington.
veryGood! (84536)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- West Virginia governor pushing for another income tax cut as time in office winds down
- See Travis Kelce Celebrate Taylor Swift Backstage at the Eras Tour in Dublin
- Lawsuit accuses Iran, Syria and North Korea of providing support for Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- 'House of the Dragon' tragic twins get burial by chocolate with cake used for dirt
- 3 killed and 2 injured in shooting near University of Cincinnati campus, police say
- Maryland hikes vehicle registration fees and tobacco taxes
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 18 Must-Have Beach Day Essentials: From Towels and Chairs to Top Sunscreens
Ranking
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Lawsuit accuses Iran, Syria and North Korea of providing support for Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Impromptu LGBTQ+ protest in Istanbul after governor bans Pride march
- Paul George agrees to four-year, $212 million deal with Sixers
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Chipotle preps for Olympics by offering meals of star athletes, gold foil-wrapped burritos
- Authorities say 13-year-old armed with replica handgun fatally shot by police after chase in upstate New York
- Paul George agrees to four-year, $212 million deal with Sixers
Recommendation
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
Hurricane Beryl maps show path and landfall forecast
NHL reinstates Bowman, Quenneville after being banned for their role in Blackhawks assault scandal
Federal judge halts Mississippi law requiring age verification for websites
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
Which states could have abortion on the ballot in 2024?
Mets OF Brandon Nimmo sits out against Nationals after fainting in hotel room and cutting forehead
Child care in America is in crisis. Can we fix it? | The Excerpt