Current:Home > ContactActivision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims -Elevate Capital Network
Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:18:11
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Activision Blizzard has agreed to pay about $54 million to settle discrimination claims brought by California’s civil rights agency on behalf of women employed by the video game maker.
The settlement, which is subject to court approval, resolves allegations that the maker of Call of Duty, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and other video games “discriminated against women at the company, including denying promotion opportunities and paying them less than men for doing substantially similar work,” the California Civil Rights Department announced late Friday.
Allegations of workplace discrimination helped drag down Activision’s stock price in 2021, paving the way for Microsoft’s eventual takeover bid in January 2022. The software giant, which owns the Xbox gaming system, closed its $69 billion deal to buy Activision in October after fending off global opposition from antitrust regulators and rivals.
California’s civil rights agency sued Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard in July 2021, alleging that female employees faced constant sexual harassment, that few women were named to leadership roles and that when they were, they earned less salary, incentive pay and total compensation than male peers.
Employees spoke up about harassment and discrimination, signing petitions criticizing the company for its defensive reaction to the lawsuit and staging a walkout.
Under the terms of the settlement, women who worked for the company between Oct. 12, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2020, either as hires or independent contractors, may be eligible for compensation. About $45.75 million of the settlement amount has been set aside for such payouts, the state agency said.
Activision Blizzard also agreed to take steps to ensure “fair pay and promotion practices” at the company.
“We appreciate the importance of the issues addressed in this agreement and we are dedicated to fully implementing all the new obligations we have assumed as part of it,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement Saturday.
The company also noted that the California Civil Rights Department agreed to file an amended complaint that withdraws sexual harassment allegations.
The settlement agreement declares that “no court or any independent investigation has substantiated any allegations” of systemic or widespread sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, nor claims that the company’s board of directors and CEO acted improperly or ignored or tolerated a culture of harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
In September 2021, Activision settled sexual harassment and discrimination claims brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, agreeing to create an $18 million fund to compensate people who were harassed or discriminated against.
And earlier this year, the company agreed to pay $35 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission charges that it failed to maintain controls to collect and assess workplace complaints with regard to disclosure requirements and violated a federal whistleblower protection rule. In paying the settlement, Activision neither admitted nor denied the SEC’s findings and agreed to a cease-and-desist order.
veryGood! (164)
Related
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Lululemon's Latest We Made Too Much Drops -- $29 Belt Bags, $49 Align Leggings & More Under $99 Finds
- Minnesota reports rare human death from rabies
- House explosion that killed 2 linked to propane system, authorities say
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs faces new sex assault allegations in woman’s lawsuit
- NMSU football play-caller Tyler Wright's social media has dozens of racist, sexist posts
- Vance exuded calm during a tense debate stage moment. Can he keep it up when he faces Walz?
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- AI Is Everywhere Now—and It’s Sucking Up a Lot of Water
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- In the Heart of Wall Street, Rights of Nature Activists Put the Fossil Fuel Era on Trial
- Selling Sunset's Bre Tiesi Reveals Where She and Chelsea Lazkani Stand After Feud
- Rescuers save and assist hundreds as Helene’s storm surge and rain create havoc
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- North Carolina floods: Lake Lure Dam overtops with water, but remains in tact, officials say
- NY judge denies governor’s bid to toss suit challenging decision to halt Manhattan congestion fee
- Port workers strike could snarl the supply chain and bust your holiday budget
Recommendation
NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
App State cancels football game against Liberty in North Carolina after Helene causes flooding
Kentucky sues Express Scripts, alleging it had a role in the deadly opioid addiction crisis
Small plane crashes into Utah Lake Friday, officials working to recover bodies
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Lizzo Makes First Public Appearance Since Sharing Weight Loss Transformation
New Orleans, US Justice Department move to end police department’s consent decree
Indianapolis man sentenced to 189 years for killing 3 young men found along a path