Current:Home > NewsArtem Chigvintsev breaks silence on his arrest after prosecutors decide not to charge him -Elevate Capital Network
Artem Chigvintsev breaks silence on his arrest after prosecutors decide not to charge him
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 01:08:02
Artem Chigvintsev is "grateful" for prosecutors' decision to not file criminal charges against him following his arrest on suspicion of felony domestic violence last month.
The former pro dancer on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" broke his silence on the incident in a statement to E! News and People magazine on Wednesday.
"I am incredibly relieved and grateful that the domestic violence charges against me have been dropped. This has been an extremely difficult time for me. I am thankful that the truth has prevailed," he told the outlets. Chigvintsev added his "focus has always been and will always be" his 4-year-old son Matteo, whom he shares with wife Nikki Garcia.
Earlier this month, Garcia filed to divorce Chigvintsev nearly two weeks after he was arrested.
"(Matteo) is my world, and being his father is the greatest blessing in my life," Chigvintsev's statement continued. "All along, my main concern has been for him. I am committed to continuing to provide him with the love, support, and care he needs as we move forward. I am hopeful that securing an equal custody arrangement will help us move on.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
"I want to express my deepest gratitude to my family, friends, and legal team for standing by me during this challenging time. Your support has been invaluable, and I am thankful to everyone who believed in me and saw the truth for what it was," he concluded. "I look forward to moving past this chapter and focusing on what truly matters—continue being the best father I can be."
USA TODAY has reached out to representatives for Chigvintsev for comment.
Why the district attorney's office declined to charge Chigvintsev
The 42-year-old dancer was arrested around 10 a.m. on Aug. 29 and booked in Napa County jail. He was held on $25,000 bail and was released more than three hours later. Napa police and prosecutors have not shared the identity of the alleged victim.
"The decision to not file charges against Mr. Chigvintsev was made after a thorough review of the criminal investigation and careful evaluation of the evidence presented to the DA's Office," a statement from Napa County District Attorney Allison Haley, issued by her office Tuesday, reads. The DA's office "may revisit the case if it learns of other incidents, or otherwise learns of facts or evidence not previously known."
"While we take every arrest seriously and stand firmly against domestic violence, we have an ethical obligation to only file charges when supported by the evidence," Haley said.
"We are required to prove any and every criminal charge 'beyond a reasonable doubt' which is the highest standard in the American criminal justice system. If the available evidence doesn't rise to this level of proof, then we cannot ethically file charges."
Nikki Garcia requests full custody of son Matteo amid divorce
According to TMZ and People, in her divorce filing Garcia cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the divorce and said Aug. 29 – the date of Chigvintsev's arrest – was the day they separated. She also requested legal and physical custody of their young son, the outlets report, while keeping the door open for visitation rights for Chigvintsev.
In addition, the former WWE star reportedly asked the court to terminate spousal support for herself and Chigvintsev.
The dancer, in his response to Garcia's filing, on Sept. 13 requested joint legal and physical custody of their son as well as spousal support from Garcia, per E! News and People magazine.
Chigvintsev's attorney, Ilona Antonyan, told E! and People her client can "focus on negotiating a shared 50/50 custody schedule. Fortunately, Artem has been able to spend time with Matteo almost every day since 8/29/2024 incident."
"My understanding of the investigated facts surrounding the 8/29/24 incident have led me to conclude from the beginning that Artem was not the primary aggressor," she continued. "I believe that to be true even if the burden of proof would be the preponderance of evidence, which is the standard of proof in family court. He was protecting himself and Matteo."
USA TODAY has reached out to Garcia's reps for comment.
Chigvintsev, who won Season 29 of "DWTS" with Kaitlyn Bristowe in 2020 and came in fourth place with Charity Lawson last season, has been on the ABC competition show for a decade, except for a hiatus during the 2019 season.
He is not part of the cast for Season 33, which is now airing.
If you are a victim of domestic violence, The National Domestic Violence Hotline (thehotline.org) allows you to speak confidentially with trained advocates online or by the phone, which they recommend for those who think their online activity is being monitored by their abuser (800-799-7233).
veryGood! (54939)
Related
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Does at-home laser hair removal work? Yes, but not as well as you might think.
- Columbia switches to hybrid learning amid protests over Israel’s war in Gaza
- How Zendaya Really Feels About Turning 30 Soon
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- What is a recession? The economic concept explained. What causes and happens during one.
- Feds bust another illegal grow house in Maine as authorities probe foreign-backed drug trade in other states
- Maui officials push back on some details in Hawaii attorney general report on deadly wildfire
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Yale student demonstrators arrested amid pro-Palestinian protest
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Searchable NFL 2024 draft order: Easy way to see every teams' picks from Rounds 1 to 7
- The remains of a WWII pilot from Michigan are identified 8 decades after a fatal bombing mission
- The Best Under-the-Radar, Eco-Friendly Fashion & Beauty Brands that You Need to Know
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- 'Extreme caution': Cass Review raises red flags on gender-affirming care for trans kids
- Lawmakers criticize CIA’s handling of sexual misconduct but offer few specifics
- Islanders give up two goals in nine seconds, blow 3-0 lead in loss to Hurricanes
Recommendation
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
Prince Louis Is All Grown Up in Royally Sweet 6th Birthday Portrait
Taylor Swift Reveals the Real Meaning Behind The Tortured Poets Department Songs
Below Deck's Captain Kerry Titheradge Fires 3rd Season 11 Crewmember
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Meet California's Toy Man, a humble humanitarian who's brought joy to thousands of kids
New federal rule bars transgender school bathroom bans, but it likely isn’t the final word
An adored ostrich at a Kansas zoo has died after swallowing a staff member’s keys