Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Teen gets 40 years in prison for Denver house fire that killed 5 from Senegal -Elevate Capital Network
Surpassing:Teen gets 40 years in prison for Denver house fire that killed 5 from Senegal
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 06:27:12
DENVER (AP) — One of three teenagers charged with starting a Denver house fire that killed five people — apparently out of revenge for a stolen cellphone that was mistakenly traced to the home — was sentenced Friday to 40 years in prison.
Gavin Seymour,Surpassing 19, pleaded guilty in January to one count of second-degree murder for his role in the Aug. 5, 2020, fire that killed five members of a Senegalese family. Denver District Court Judge Karen Brody sentenced him to the maximum possible term he faced, The Denver Post reported.
“This is a tragedy that is, I’m sure for everyone involved, incomprehensible,” Brody said. “There was a loss of the most innocent of lives.”
Seymour and two other teenagers — Kevin Bui and Dillon Siebert — were charged with setting the fire in the middle of the night, killing family members Djibril Diol, 29; Adja Diol, 23; Khadija Diol, 1; Hassan Diol, 25; and 6-month-old Hawa Baye. Three other people escaped by jumping from the second floor of the home.
Siebert, who was 14 at the time of the fire, was 17 when he was sentenced in February 2023 to three years in juvenile detention and seven years in a state prison program for young inmates. Seymour and Bui, who is accused of being the ringleader, were both 16 at the time of the fire. The case against Bui, who faces multiple counts of first-degree murder, is still pending.
The investigation of the fire dragged on for months without any leads. Fears that the blaze had been a hate crime led many Senegalese immigrants to install security cameras at their homes in case they could also be targeted.
“Even if you kill five sheep or goats, you should get a maximum sentence,” relative Hanady Diol told the court Friday through a translator over the phone from Senegal. “This person here, they are talking about 40 or 30 years. That just means there is no justice there. There is no judging that the people who died are human beings.”
The boys were identified as suspects after police obtained a search warrant asking Google for which accounts had searched the home’s address within 15 days of the fire.
Bui told investigators he had been robbed the month before the fire while trying to buy a gun and had traced his iPhone to the home using an app, court records said. He admitted setting the fire, only to find out the next day through news coverage that the victims were not the people who robbed him, according to police.
Attorneys for Seymour and Bui challenged the search warrant, but the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the search for this case. Bui is next due in court on March 21, according to The Denver Post.
Seymour apologized in court Friday for his role in the fire.
“If I could go back and prevent all this I would,” he said. “There is not a moment that goes by that I don’t feel extreme guilt and remorse for my actions. … I want to say how truly sorry I am to the family members and community for all the harm I’ve done.”
veryGood! (52)
Related
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Georgia's humbling loss to Mississippi leads college football winners and losers for Week 11
- 1 monkey captured, 42 monkeys still on the loose after escaping research facility in SC
- AP Top 25: Oregon remains No. 1 as Big Ten grabs 4 of top 5 spots; Georgia, Miami out of top 10
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Trump on Day 1: Begin deportation push, pardon Jan. 6 rioters and make his criminal cases vanish
- Maine dams face an uncertain future
- Sister Wives’ Madison Brush Details Why She Went “No Contact” With Dad Kody Brown
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Anti-abortion advocates press Trump for more restrictions as abortion pill sales spike
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Princess Kate makes rare public appearance after completing cancer chemo
- What to know about Mississippi Valley State football player Ryan Quinney, who died Friday
- See Leonardo DiCaprio's Transformation From '90s Heartthrob to Esteemed Oscar Winner
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- Brush fire erupts in Brooklyn's iconic Prospect Park amid prolonged drought
- California farmers enjoy pistachio boom, with much of it headed to China
- Round 2 in the Trump-vs-Mexico matchup looks ominous for Mexico
Recommendation
Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
A Pipeline Runs Through It
Judith Jamison, a dancer both eloquent and elegant, led Ailey troupe to success over two decades
Is Veterans Day a federal holiday? Here's what to know for November 11
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Reds honor Pete Rose with a 14-hour visitation at Great American Ball Park
Let Demi Moore’s Iconic Fashion Give You More Inspiration
NASCAR Championship race live updates, how to watch: Cup title on the line at Phoenix