Current:Home > FinanceEx-officer acquitted of assault in 2020 encounter with racial injustice protester in Philadelphia -Elevate Capital Network
Ex-officer acquitted of assault in 2020 encounter with racial injustice protester in Philadelphia
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 01:18:26
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A former Philadelphia police inspector has been acquitted of assault in the use of a baton during an encounter with a protester in a 2020 racial injustice demonstration.
Jurors acquitted 57-year-old Joseph Bologna on Wednesday of charges of simple assault and possessing an instrument of crime in the incident recorded on video during June 2020 protests on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway following the death of George Floyd, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.
Defense attorney Fortunato Perri Jr. told jurors during closing arguments that his client’s life over the past 3 1/2 years since his arrest had been a “nightmare.” He cited the city police code section saying use of force is justified when a person resists arrest or appears to threaten bodily harm. He also said Bologna’s choice to strike as the then-21-year-old Temple University student tried to intervene in another arrest was a “quick decision” in a “rapidly evolving” situation.
Perri said a medical examination found that the protester was never struck directly on the head with the baton. He said an internal affairs investigation found no evidence of departmental violations on the part of the officer.
Bologna was fired after video of the encounter circulated widely on social media and other reports surfaced about his actions during the unrest.
The Inquirer reported that before deliberations began, prosecution and defense had agreed that testimony by the city medical examiner would have told jurors the person was struck with the baton on the upper back, not the head, and his bloody laceration came from the officer’s bike helmet.
Prosecutors argued that the use of force was not typical, pointing to testimony from a former Utah officer turned researcher and teacher who said the protester wasn’t in a position to harm the officer when he was struck.
Bologna was originally charged with multiple counts including aggravated assault and reckless endangerment, but a judge in 2021 dismissed the charges. Another judge later reinstated the two counts on which Bologna was tried.
veryGood! (334)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Turkey earthquake miracle baby girl finally reunited with mom almost two months after the deadly quakes
- U.K. cows could get methane suppressing products in effort to reduce farm greenhouse gas emissions
- Transcript: Preet Bharara on Face the Nation, April 2, 2023
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Wall Street Journal reporter held in Russia on espionage charges meets with lawyers, editor says
- These Are the Most Iconic Oscars Dresses of All Time
- Today’s Hoda Kotb Shares Heartfelt Message to Supporters After Daughter’s Hospitalization
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Biden's Plan To Reduce Shortages Of Products That Are Critical For National Security
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan and More Receive 2023 CMT Music Awards Nominations: See the Complete List
- Brittney Griner says she has great concern for Wall Street Journal reporter held in Russia
- 2023 Coachella & Stagecoach Packing Guide: Shop Sneakers, Boots & Sandals That Are Trendy & Comfortable
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Canadian police say 6 people found dead in marsh near U.S. border in Quebec
- Apple iPhones Can Soon Hold Your ID. Privacy Experts Are On Edge
- Sinaloa cartel boss who worked with El Chapo extradited from Mexico to U.S.
Recommendation
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Taliban arrests prominent Afghan education campaigner Matiullah Wesa, founder of the Pen Path organization
Transcript: Wall Street Journal editor Emma Tucker on Face the Nation, April 2, 2023
BareMinerals Flash Deal: Get 2 Bronzers for the Price of 1 Before They Sell Out
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
U.S. troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries after attacks in Syria
How The Biden Administration Is Confronting A Surge In Cyberattacks
Stung By Media Coverage, Silicon Valley Starts Its Own Publications