Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -Elevate Capital Network
SignalHub-Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 09:22:45
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case,SignalHub a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (727)
Related
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Deion Sanders on theft of players' belongings: 'Who robs the Rose Bowl?'
- 'Bridgerton' actor had 'psychotic breaks' while on show, says Netflix offered 'no support'
- 'Live cluster bomblet', ammunition found in Goodwill donation, Wisconsin police say
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Maine gunman may have targeted businesses over delusions they were disparaging him online
- Mary Lou Retton issues statement following pneumonia hospitalization: I am forever grateful to you all!
- See the Dancing With the Stars Cast's Jaw-Dropping Halloween 2023 Transformations
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- North West Proves She's Following in Parents Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's Footsteps in Rare Interview
Ranking
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Texas man faces murder charge after doctor stabbed to death at picnic table
- Two Missouri men accused of assaulting officers during riot at the U.S. Capitol charged
- Wisconsin’s Democratic governor sues Republican Legislature over blocking ‘basic functions’
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- 4 Pennsylvania universities closer to getting millions after House OKs bill on state subsidies
- 3-month-old found dead after generator emitted toxic gas inside New Orleans home, police say
- 4 Pennsylvania universities closer to getting millions after House OKs bill on state subsidies
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
King Charles III visits war cemetery in Kenya after voicing ‘deepest regret’ for colonial violence
Researchers hope tracking senior Myanmar army officers can ascertain blame for human rights abuses
Potential cure for sickle cell disease raises few concerns for FDA panel
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
US magistrate cites intentional evidence destruction in recommending default judgment in jail suit
'If it wasn't for my boyfriend, I'd probably be homeless': Seniors face rising debt
'The Voice': Reba McEntire encourages 'underdog' singer Al Boogie after 'Jolene' performance