Current:Home > FinanceFewer than 400 households reject $600 million Ohio train derailment settlement -Elevate Capital Network
Fewer than 400 households reject $600 million Ohio train derailment settlement
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 04:05:05
Very few people who live near the East Palestine, Ohio, train derailment opted out of a $600 million class action settlement despite residents’ reservations about whether the deal offers enough, so lawyers argue the agreement should be approved later this month.
The lawyers who negotiated the deal with Norfolk Southern on behalf of everyone affected by the disastrous February 2023 derailment said only 370 households and 47 businesses in the 20-mile (32-kilometer) radius around the derailment opted out of the property damage payments.
That includes only 82 opt-outs from households within 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) of the crash who were promised $70,000 for property damage. People who lived at the outer edge of the area will only receive a few hundred dollars if a federal judge approves the settlement after a Sept. 25 hearing.
Altogether, 54,925 claims had been filed as of last week, and that number should be close to the final total because there was an Aug. 22 deadline to submit forms.
“It is deeply satisfying that this community overwhelmingly supports this settlement,” the plaintiffs’ lawyers said in a statement. “This result would not have been possible without their resolve and determination to hold Norfolk Southern accountable.”
A separate payment of up to $25,000 for personal injuries was more controversial because residents were required to give up any right to sue in the future if they develop cancer or other serious ailments. But some 97% of East Palestine residents still signed onto that.
Some residents have complained that even though the lawyers have said this settlement is bigger than any other derailment settlement, the payments still aren’t enough to compensate them for all their suffering. Many people don’t like the fact that aid payments they have received from the railroad will be deducted from any settlement they ultimately receive.
One of the key concerns for those objecting to the deal is that the contamination left behind after hazardous chemicals spilled and burned after the train crash could be worse than they know. That’s why they filed a motion asking the judge to order the lawyers to release all the tests their expert did in the community.
The plaintiff’s lawyers said in their motion that they can’t release those tests because it would violate the terms of the settlement. They tried to reassure the community that they did extensive research to make sure the settlement was adequate by interviewing some 70 people and reviewing nearly 1.35 million pages of documents.
A separate federal settlement between the government and the railroad will ensure that Norfolk Southern pays for the cleanup that is still ongoing and for long-term medical monitoring of residents and tests of groundwater.
The National Transportation Safety Board confirmed early this summer that the derailment was caused by an overheated wheel bearing that wasn’t caught in time by trackside detectors. Investigators also said they determined that officials never needed to blow open five tank cars containing vinyl chloride and burn the plastic ingredient because those tank cars weren’t going to explode.
The plaintiffs’ lawyers said that because of their extensive investigation they weren’t surprised by anything that came out at the NTSB hearing in June.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- 4 California men linked to Three Percenters militia convicted of conspiracy in Jan. 6 case
- Commercial fishing groups sue 13 US tire makers over rubber preservative that’s deadly to salmon
- Adidas says it may write off remaining unsold Yeezy shoes after breakup with Ye
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Israel says it will maintain “overall security responsibility” for Gaza. What might that look like?
- The Angels have hired Ron Washington, the 71-year-old’s first job as MLB manager since 2014
- So you want to be a Guinness World Records title holder? Here's what you need to know
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Moonies church in Japan offers $67 million in victim compensation as court mulls shutting it down
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Man convicted in wedding shooting plays his rap music as part of insanity defense
- Illinois Senate approves plan to allow new nuclear reactors
- Western and Arab officials are gathering in Paris to find ways to provide aid to civilians in Gaza
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Several GOP presidential candidates vow to punish colleges, students protesting against Israel or for Hamas
- Former Green Bay Packers safety Aaron Rouse wins election in Virginia Senate race
- Rhinestones on steering wheels: Why feds say the car decoration can be dangerous
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
4 elections offices in Washington are evacuated due to suspicious envelopes, 2 containing fentanyl
Lacey Chabert's Gretchen Wieners is 'giving 2004' in new Walmart 'Mean Girls' ad
Gas prices are plunging below $3 a gallon in some states. Here's what experts predict for the holidays.
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
South Carolina naturalist Rudy Mancke, who shared how everyone is connected to nature, dies at 78
Here's how much you need to earn to afford a home in 97 U.S. cities
Justice Department opens probe of police in small Mississippi city over alleged civil rights abuses