Current:Home > StocksTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-TikTok cracks down on posts about Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America" amid apparent viral trend -Elevate Capital Network
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-TikTok cracks down on posts about Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America" amid apparent viral trend
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 06:40:14
TikTok on TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank CenterThursday cracked down on posts about Osama bin Laden's "Letter to America," which the al Qaeda leader wrote after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.
In the lengthy letter from 2002, bin Laden attempted to justify the terror attacks against the U.S. that killed nearly 3,000 people. The al Qaeda leader criticized American military bases in the Middle East and the U.S.'s support for Israel.
Bin Laden claimed that the Quran gives permission to take revenge, and "whoever has killed our civilians, then we have the right to kill theirs." He criticized U.S. exploitation of the region's "treasures" — presumably a reference to natural resources. Violence, he claimed, is the only language America understands.
The letter resurfaced on TikTok this week amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, with some TikTok users posting about how reading the letter changed their perspective on the 9/11 attacks and U.S. foreign policy.
While TikTok said reports of it trending were inaccurate, the #lettertoamerica hashtag on TikTok had 13.7 million views as of Thursday afternoon. "Letter to America" also trended on X, the platform formally known as Twitter, where there were more than 82,000 posts.
"Content promoting this letter clearly violates our rules on supporting any form of terrorism," TikTok said in a statement on Thursday. "We are proactively and aggressively removing this content and investigating how it got onto our platform. The number of videos on TikTok is small and reports of it trending on our platform are inaccurate. This is not unique to TikTok and has appeared across multiple platforms and the media."
Amid the sudden surge in interest, the British newspaper The Guardian took down a web page where it had posted the full text of Bin Laden's letter back in 2002.
"The transcript published on our website had been widely shared on social media without the full context," The Guardian wrote. "Therefore we decided to take it down and direct readers instead to the news article that originally contextualised it."
White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates commented on the controversy, saying the apparent trend was especially egregious now, with acts of antisemitic violence on the rise in the U.S. and elsewhere in the aftermath of the deadly Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel.
"There is never a justification for spreading the repugnant, evil, and antisemitic lies that the leader of al Qaeda issued just after committing the worst terrorist attack in American history — highlighting them as his direct motivation for murdering 2,977 innocent Americans," Bates said. "And no one should ever insult the 2,977 American families still mourning loved ones by associating themselves with the vile words of Osama bin Laden."
- In:
- osama bin laden
- TikTok
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBSNews.com. She has previously written for outlets including PIX11 News, The New York Daily News, Inside Edition and DNAinfo. Aliza covers trending news, often focusing on crime and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (6857)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Thanksgiving cocktails and mocktail recipes: Festive flavors featuring apple, cranberry, pumpkin
- Hundreds of dogs sickened with mysterious, potentially fatal illness in several U.S. states
- Zach Edey, Braden Smith lead Purdue men's basketball to Maui Invitational win over Gonzaga
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Companies are stealthily cutting benefits to afford higher wages. What employees should know
- Hiker found dead on trail in Grand Canyon, second such fatality in 2 months
- Slain New Hampshire security guard honored at candlelight vigil
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Cease-fire is the only way forward to stop the Israel-Hamas war, Jordanian ambassador says
Ranking
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Second suspect arrested in Morgan State University shooting
- Biden plans to deploy immigration officers to Panama to help screen and deport U.S.-bound migrants, officials say
- Key L.A. freeway hit by arson fire reopens weeks earlier than expected
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart reunite for a 'Just Friends'-themed Aviation gin ad
- Jury acquits Catholic priest in Tennessee who was charged with sexual battery
- Precious water: As more of the world thirsts, luxury water becoming fashionable among the elite
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
New Google search, map feature lets consumers find small businesses for holiday shopping
CEO of Fortnite game maker casts Google as a ‘crooked’ bully in testimony during Android app trial
Remains found in Arizona desert in 1992 identified as missing girl; police investigate possible link to serial killer
'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
Cyprus’ president says his country is ready to ship aid to Gaza once a go-ahead is given
Missing Florida woman Shakeira Rucker found dead in estranged husband's storage unit
Sunday Morning 2023 Food Issue recipe index