Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-DC attorney general argues NHL’s Capitals, NBA’s Wizards must play in Washington through 2047 -Elevate Capital Network
Indexbit-DC attorney general argues NHL’s Capitals, NBA’s Wizards must play in Washington through 2047
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 03:07:49
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Indexbitattorney general for the District of Columbia contends that the NBA’s Washington Wizards and NHL’s Washington Capitals are obligated to play their games in the downtown arena through 2047, the city’s latest salvo to keep the teams from leaving.
In a letter Brian Schwalb wrote this week to Monumental Sports and Entertainment that was obtained by The Associated Press on Friday, Schwalb cited a 2007 bond agreement for renovations that extended the teams’ lease for 20 more years beyond the initial timeframe through 2027.
The letter comes as Monumental’s $2 billion plan for a new arena across the Potomac River in Alexandria has stalled in the Virginia legislature.
Schwalb said D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s $500 million offer to renovate Capital One Arena still stands. Bowser in an op-ed piece in the Washington Post last month urged Monumental to consider that and said the city would enforce the lease terms if necessary.
“The District very much prefers not to pursue any potential claims against MSE,” Schwalb wrote in a letter dated Tuesday to Monumental general counsel Abby Blomstrom in response to one she sent to the city last month. “It remains committed to maintaining and growing its partnership with MSE and to keeping the Wizards and Capitals at the Arena until the end of the existing lease term in 2047, if not beyond. It is in that spirit that the District urges MSE to re-engage with District officials around a mutually beneficial arrangement that advances the long term interests of both the District and MSE.”
Monica Dixon, a top executive at Monumental, said Feb. 12 that the company was having “healthy discussions” with Virginia General Assembly leaders and Alexandria City Council members, who would also have to sign off on the Potomac Yard deal. A Monumental spokesperson referred to Dixon’s comments last month when reached Friday.
Since then, Virginia Democratic Sen. L. Louise Lucas used her perch as chair of the Finance and Appropriations Committee to keep the arena deal struck by Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin and Ted Leonsis, the head of Monumental, out of the state budget. That development doesn’t necessarily mean the end of the road for the plan, but it complicates the path forward.
“Why are we discussing an arena at Potomac Yard with the same organization that is breaking their agreement and commitments to Washington DC? ” Lucas wrote on social media. “Does anyone believe they wouldn’t do exactly the same thing to us?”
___
AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports
veryGood! (72941)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Ford, Mazda warn owners to stop driving older vehicles with dangerous Takata air bag inflators
- Wisconsin Capitol Police decline to investigate leak of state Supreme Court abortion order
- Ford, Mazda warn owners to stop driving older vehicles with dangerous Takata air bag inflators
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Fans go off on Grayson Allen's NBA 2K25 rating
- Why Inter Miami-Columbus Crew Leagues Cup match is biggest of MLS season (even sans Messi)
- Julianne Hough tearfully recounts split from ex-husband Brooks Laich: 'An unraveling'
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Inflation is easing but Americans still aren't feeling it
Ranking
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Geomagnetic storm fuels more auroras, warnings of potential disruptions
- Texas’ overcrowded and understaffed jails send people awaiting trial to other counties and states
- Porsha Williams Mourns Death of Cousin and Costar Yolanda “Londie” Favors
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Don’t Miss Target’s Home Sale: Enjoy Up to 50% off Including a Keurig for $49 & More Deals Starting at $4
- Julianne Hough tearfully recounts split from ex-husband Brooks Laich: 'An unraveling'
- Marine who died trying to save crew in fiery Osprey crash to receive service’s top noncombat medal
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Matt Kuchar bizarrely stops playing on 72nd hole of Wyndham Championship
Ferguson police to release body camera footage of protest where officer was badly hurt
Warts can be stubborn to treat. Here's how to get rid of them.
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
The Latest: Harris begins policy rollout; material from Trump campaign leaked to news outlets
Saturday Night Live’s Bowen Yang Says One Host Was So Rude Multiple Cast Members Cried
Haason Reddick has requested a trade from the Jets after being a camp holdout, AP source says