Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Italy suspends open border with Slovenia, citing increased terror threat as Mideast violence spikes -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro:Italy suspends open border with Slovenia, citing increased terror threat as Mideast violence spikes
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:02:44
MILAN (AP) — Italy on SafeX ProWednesday announced it will suspend an open-border agreement with neighboring Slovenia, citing an increased threat of terrorism in Europe due to violence in the Middle East.
Premier Giorgia Meloni’s far-right-led government said authorities in the northeastern border region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia had identified 16,000 people so far this year who had entered Italy illegally across the Slovenian border, the last stop on the Balkan route that some migrants take to enter western Europe. That is in addition to the 140,000 migrant arrivals in Italy by sea, an increase of 85% over 2022.
The government said in a statement that the Interior Ministry’s anti-terrorism committee was looking into the situation, which “confirms the necessity of” reinforcing Italy’s border.
Italy said it would resume border controls starting Oct. 21 for 10 days.
Italy and Slovenia are among 26 countries that belong to the Schengen area, the world’s largest free travel zone.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Maui’s mayor prioritizes housing and vows to hire more firefighters after Lahaina wildfire
- Steelers trade QB Kenny Pickett to Eagles, clearing way for Russell Wilson to start, per reports
- New Hampshire diner fight leads to charges against former police officer, allegations of racism
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Michigan suspends defensive line coach Gregg Scruggs following drunk driving arrest
- Things to know about Uber and Lyft saying they will halt ride-hailing services in Minneapolis
- Energy Department conditionally approves $2.26 billion loan for huge lithium mine in Nevada
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Madison LeCroy Shares the Item Southern Charm Fans Ask About the Most
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- 'Manhunt' review: You need to watch this wild TV series about Lincoln's assassination
- Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse
- How the AP reported that someone with access to Bernie Moreno’s email created adult website profile
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Uber, Lyft leaving Minneapolis: City council passes measure forcing driver pay increase
- Nate Oats' extension with Alabama will make him one of college basketball's highest-paid coaches
- How to safely watch the total solar eclipse: You will need glasses
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Get Your Carts Ready! Free People’s Sale Is Heating Up, With Deals of up to 95% Off
As spring homebuying season kicks off, a NAR legal settlement could shrink realtor commissions
College Football Playoffs new six-year contract starting in 2026 opens door to expansion
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
The House wants the US to ban TikTok. That's a mistake.
Authorities order residents to shelter in place after shootings in suburban Philadelphia township
When it’s St. Patrick’s Day in New Orleans, get ready to catch a cabbage