Current:Home > NewsPrince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London -Elevate Capital Network
Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:59:10
London — A British newspaper group has apologized for illegal information gathering and vowed it won't happen again in a trial beginning Wednesday that pits Britain's Prince Harry and other celebrities against the U.K's tabloid press. The trial kicking off Wednesday at London's High Court is over a suit, brought jointly by the Duke of Sussex and other U.K. celebrities, including popstar Cheryl Cole and the estate of the late George Michael, against the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), publisher of the Daily Mirror tabloid, over alleged phone hacking.
- British tabloids and their "invisible contract" with the royals
The Mirror Group is contesting the claims against it, arguing that some have been brought beyond the permissible time limit and denying some others. However, MGN said in court documents released Wednesday that there was "some evidence of the instruction of third parties to engage in other types of UIG [unlawful information gathering] in respect of each of the Claimants," which "warrants compensation."
"MGN unreservedly apologizes for all such instances of UIG, and assures the claimants that such conduct will never be repeated," court documents said. "This apology is not made with the tactical objective of reducing damages (MGN accepts that an apology at this stage will not have that effect), but is made because such conduct should never have occurred."
- Harry claims William reached "large" settlement with Murdoch tabloids over hacking
The celebrities' claims pertain to a period between 1996 and 2011, which encompasses the time when media personality Piers Morgan, now a vocal critic of Prince Harry and his wife Megan, Duchess of Sussex, served as the Daily Mirror's editor.
MGN previously admitted that phone hacking had historically taken place at its papers, and it has paid settlements to victims, Sky News reported.
The suit was launched in 2019, and Harry is expected to testify in June. It alleges that journalists working for the Mirror Group gathered information unlawfully, including by hacking phones. Prince Harry's legal team initially pointed to 144 articles that they said used unlawfully gathered information. Only 33 will be considered in the trial, according to Sky News.
Harry and Meghan have filed at least seven lawsuits against U.S. and U.K. media outlets since 2019, according to Sky News, and Harry is currently involved in four cases against U.K. tabloid newspapers. He is part of a group alleging unlawful information gathering at Associated Newspapers Limited, which publishes The Daily Mail, and against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun tabloid.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (95)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Georgia Supreme Court ruling prevents GOP-backed commission from beginning to discipline prosecutors
- Sweet potato memories: love 'em, rely on 'em ... hate 'em
- Melissa Barrera, Susan Sarandon face backlash for comments about Middle East Crisis
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Tens of thousands of protesters demanding a restoration of Nepal’s monarchy clash with police
- Walmart shooter who injured 4 in Ohio may have been motivated by racial extremism, FBI says
- Do you believe? Cher set to star in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade this year
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- How to keep an eye out for cyber scams during this holiday shopping season
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Why are sales so hard to resist? Let's unravel this Black Friday mystery
- Biden's FCC takes aim at early termination fees from pay-TV providers
- Hundreds of German police raid properties of Hamas supporters in Berlin and across the country
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Search resumes for the missing after landslide leaves 3 dead in Alaska fishing community
- Pennsylvania woman sentenced in DUI crash that killed 2 troopers and a pedestrian
- Notre Dame honored transfer QB Sam Hartman, and his former coach at Wake Forest hated it
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Buffalo Sabres rookie Zach Benson scores first goal on highlight-reel, between-the-legs shot
Peru lost more than half of its glacier surface in just over half a century, scientists say
28 Black Friday 2023 Home Deals That Are Too Good to Pass Up, From Dyson to Pottery Barn
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Microsoft hires Sam Altman 3 days after OpenAI fired him as CEO
Super pigs — called the most invasive animal on the planet — threaten to invade northern U.S.
El Nino-worsened flooding has Somalia in a state of emergency. Residents of one town are desperate