Current:Home > ContactDwayne Johnson makes 'historic' 7-figure donation to SAG-AFTRA amid actors strike -Elevate Capital Network
Dwayne Johnson makes 'historic' 7-figure donation to SAG-AFTRA amid actors strike
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 04:02:49
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has made a "historic" seven-figure donation to SAG-AFTRA to provide assistance to union actors on strike.
"While we cannot disclose the amount, as it is a private donation, we can confirm that it is seven figures, and it is historic for our nonprofit organization," SAG-AFTRA director of communications Caroline O'Connor tells USA TODAY in a statement Tuesday.
Johnson's donation is the largest total contribution received from an individual donor in the union's nearly 40-year history.
The wrestler-turned-actor's donation "will help thousands in urgent need who have been impacted by the SAG-AFTRA strike, and will receive emergency assistance for basic needs," O'Connor added.
Johnson has yet to comment on his donation.
Hollywood actors voted to strike earlier this month, joining already-striking writers in a move that shuts down the production of countless movies and TV shows.
"I went in in earnest, thinking we could avert the strike, so the gravity of this move is not lost on me," Screen Actors Guild president Fran Drescher said on July 13 at a news conference in Los Angeles announcing the strike.
"We had no choice. We are the victims here, being victimized by a very greedy entity," she said. "They stand on the wrong side of history. We stand in unprecedented unity. At some point the jig is up, you can't keep being marginalized and disrespected. The business model has been changed by streaming and AI. If we don’t stand tall right now, we’ll all be in jeopardy. At some point you have to say, no, we’re not going to take this anymore."
'We are the victims here':Hollywood actors strike, shutting down the film, TV industry
Hollywood writers have been on strike since May 2, holding out for improved payment contracts at a time when less-than-lucrative streaming deals are bumping up against the looming threat of artificial intelligence taking writers' jobs. Actors are also looking for better pay deals, especially from streaming services such as Netflix.
The combined SAG and Writers Guild of America strikes immediately shut down TV shows and movies currently in production; it has already delayed “Challengers, ” starring Zendaya, which had been set to debut at Venice International Film Festival but has now been pushed to 2024.
The strike terms also halt promotional appearances ranging from red carpet walks to media junkets. While the duration of the strike is an unknown, some reports suggest studios are willing to hold out into the fall to win concessions.
Writers strike 2023 explained:Why the WGA walked out, what it means for TV and film
This marks the first time in 63 years that both Hollywood actors and writers have been on strike simultaneously. Commercial actors last walked off the job for six months in 2000, while the last strike by film and theatrical actor members of SAG lasted 14 hours, back in 1986. The writers staged a 100-day walkout in 2007 and 2008.
Contributing: Kelly Lawler and Marco della Cava
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Oprah Winfrey denies being paid $1M for Kamala Harris rally: 'I was not paid a dime'
- Five best fits for Alex Bregman: Will Astros homegrown star leave as free agent?
- Opinion: Chris Wallace leaves CNN to go 'where the action' is. Why it matters
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Republican Dan Newhouse wins reelection to US House in Washington
- Trump ally Steve Bannon blasts ‘lawfare’ as he faces New York trial after federal prison stint
- Glen Powell Addresses Rumor He’ll Replace Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible Franchise
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- College Football Playoff snubs: Georgia among teams with beef after second rankings
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Why Outer Banks Fans Think Costars Rudy Pankow and Madison Bailey Used Stunt Doubles Amid Rumored Rift
- College Football Playoff snubs: Georgia among teams with beef after second rankings
- Bev Priestman fired as Canada women’s soccer coach after review of Olympic drone scandal
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 'I know how to do math': New Red Lobster CEO says endless shrimp deal is not coming back
- Residents urged to shelter in place after apparent explosion at Louisville business
- Isiah Pacheco injury updates: When will Chiefs RB return?
Recommendation
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
Panel advises Illinois commemorate its role in helping slaves escape the South
Mike Tyson-Jake Paul: How to watch the fight, time, odds
Travis Kelce's and Patrick Mahomes' Kansas City Houses Burglarized
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Glen Powell Addresses Rumor He’ll Replace Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible Franchise
Five best fits for Alex Bregman: Will Astros homegrown star leave as free agent?
Watch as dust storm that caused 20-car pileup whips through central California