Current:Home > FinanceFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home -Elevate Capital Network
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Gilgo Beach serial killing suspect returning to court after a renewed search of his home
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:05:00
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York architect charged in the Gilgo Beach killings will return to court this week after investigators searched his suburban home and FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centercombed a wooded area elsewhere on Long Island.
Rex Heuermann, who has pleaded not guilty in the deaths of four women whose remains were found along a remote beach highway, will appear Thursday in state court in Riverhead, a spokesperson for the Suffolk County district attorney’s office confirmed. He had previously been scheduled to return to court for a June 18 status hearing.
The new court date comes two weeks after investigators returned to Heuermann’s single-story home in Massapequa Park, where they had recovered a cache of weapons during an initial search following his arrest last summer. A date for Heuermann’s trial has not yet been set.
During the most recent search, which lasted several days, investigators placed paint chips and other materials into evidence bags and removed a large rectangular object covered in a blue cloth.
A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office would not say whether the upcoming hearing was related to the renewed search effort.
In April, authorities involved in the investigation also spent more than a week searching a wooded area in Manorville, fueling speculation that they were seeking new evidence linked to some of the additional six sets of remains that were discovered along Gilgo Beach more than a decade ago.
Heuermann, 60, was arrested in July in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello. He was charged in January in the death of Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
His attorney, Michael Brown, has said his client maintains his innocence. He declined to comment on the nature of Thursday’s hearing.
The case had vexed investigators since the remains of eleven people, most of them young women who had been sex workers, were found on a stretch of Gilgo Beach in 2010 and 2011. Authorities have said the investigation into the other victims remains ongoing.
Robert Macedonio, a lawyer for Heuermann’s estranged wife, said the most recent search of the Massapequa Park home was primarily focused on the basement. He said the family was out of state when the search was conducted.
He declined to say what was taken from the home and said the family has not yet received the search warrant affidavit that would spell out their reasons for conducting the search.
During the initial search of the home in July, authorities tore up a wooden deck and used an excavator to dig up the backyard, which they scanned for buried objects using specialized equipment.
The most recent search was far less disruptive, according to Macedonia.
Vess Mitev, a lawyer for Heuermann’s two adult children, said the family was closely monitoring the developments.
“The hearing is yet another mile marker in this macabre saga, where they continue to be unfortunate bystanders,” he said in a text message.
veryGood! (9559)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Japanese automaker Honda revs up on EVs, aiming for lucrative US, China markets
- Texas judge orders new election after GOP lawsuit challenged 2022 election result in Houston area
- Win Big With These Card Games & Board Games That Make for the Best Night-in Ever
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- 2 dead, 2 injured in early morning explosion at a rural Ohio home: Reports
- Haiti’s crisis rises to the forefront of elections in neighboring Dominican Republic
- Sculpture of the late Rev. Billy Graham unveiled at US Capitol
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- A pair of late 3-putts sent Tiger Woods to a sluggish 1-over start at the PGA Championship
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 'One Chip Challenge' led to the death of teen Harris Wolobah, state official says
- Haiti’s crisis rises to the forefront of elections in neighboring Dominican Republic
- Want to try a non-alcoholic beer? Here's how to get a free one Thursday
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Yemeni security forces deploy in Aden as anger simmers over lengthy power outages
- Apple Music 100 Best Albums include Tupac, Metallica, Jimi Hendrix: See entries 70-61
- Man arrested in 1989 killing of 78-year-old Pennsylvania woman who fought her attacker
Recommendation
Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
As countries tighten anti-gay laws, more and more LGBTQ+ migrants seek safety and asylum in Europe
Blake Lively Brings It Ends With Us to Life In First Trailer—Featuring a Nod to Taylor Swift
New Miss USA Savannah Gankiewicz crowned after former titleholders resign amid controversy
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
UN reports improved prospects for the world economy and forecasts 2.7% growth in 2024
Netflix confirms 'Happy Gilmore 2' with Adam Sandler: What we know
A Palestinian converted to Judaism. An Israeli soldier saw him as a threat and opened fire