Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro Exchange|Early Mickey Mouse to star in at least 2 horror flicks, now that Disney copyright is over
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:07:53
Los Angeles — The earliest iteration of Mickey Mouse is on a rampage, barely two days in the public domain.
Slashed free of Disney's copyright as of Monday, the iconic character from "Steamboat Willie" is already the focus of two horror films. On Monday, just hours after the 1928 short entered the public domain, a trailer for "Mickey's Mouse Trap" dropped on YouTube. Another yet-to-be-titled film was announced Tuesday.
"Steamboat Willie" featured early versions of both Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, it was the third cartoon featuring the duo they made but the first to be released. In it, a more menacing Mickey, bearing more resemblance to rat than mouse, captains a boat and makes musical instruments out of other animals.
It's perhaps fitting, then, that the first projects announced are seemingly low-budget and campy slasher movies - and not unprecedented. Winnie the Pooh - sans red shirt - entered the public domain in 2022; scarcely a year later, he was notching up a heavy body count in the microbudget "Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey."
In the trailer for "Mickey's Mouse Trap," directed by Jamie Bailey, what appears to be a human in a comically small Mickey mask terrorizes a group of young people at an arcade.
"A place for fun. A place for friends. A place for hunting," text flashed during the trailer reads. "The mouse is out."
"We just wanted to have fun with it all. I mean it's 'Steamboat Willie''s Mickey Mouse murdering people," director Jamie Bailey said in a statement cited by trade publications. "It's ridiculous. We ran with it and had fun doing it and I think it shows."
No release date has been set.
The second movie is from director Steven LaMorte, who previously directed a horror parody of "The Grinch," which isn't in the public domain (the movie is thus called "The Mean One").
"A late-night boat ride turns into a desperate fight for survival in New York City when a mischievous mouse becomes a monstrous reality," is the logline for the untitled film, per a post on LaMorte's Instagram.
" 'Steamboat Willie' has brought joy to generations, but beneath that cheerful exterior lies a potential for pure, unhinged terror," LaMorte said in a release cited by trade publications. The movie has yet to begin production.
With the expiration of the 95-year copyright, the public is allowed to use only the initial versions of Mickey and Minnie - not the more familiar character designs.
"We will, of course, continue to protect our rights in the more modern versions of Mickey Mouse and other works that remain subject to copyright," Disney said in a statement ahead of the characters entering the public domain.
LaMorte told Variety that the producers of his film are working with a legal team so as not to run afoul of Disney, and will call their raging rodent Steamboat Willie instead of Mickey Mouse.
"We are doing our due diligence to make sure there's no question or confusion of what we're up to," he said.
- In:
- Disney
veryGood! (8337)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Wisconsin judge dismisses lawsuit challenging state’s new wolf management plan
- iPhone users missing alarms may find a solution in their settings, Apple says
- Ukrainian Olympic weightlifter Oleksandr Pielieshenko dies in war with Russia
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- This Holocaust Remembrance Day, survivors have a message: Don't let history 'repeat itself'
- For farmers, watching and waiting is a spring planting ritual. Climate change is adding to anxiety
- United Methodists took historic steps toward inclusion but ‘big tent’ work has just begun
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Detroit man sentenced to 80 years for fatal shootings of 2 West Virginia women
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Prosecutors move deeper into Trump’s orbit as testimony in hush money trial enters a third week
- Tanzania hit by power blackouts as Cyclone Hidaya strengthens toward country's coastline
- Music legends celebrate 'The Queens of R&B Tour' in Las Vegas
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Why Ryan Gosling Avoids Darker Roles for the Sake of His Family
- Madonna attracts 1.6M fans for free concert in Brazil to wrap up her Celebration tour
- California reports the first increase in groundwater supplies in 4 years
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
California reports the first increase in groundwater supplies in 4 years
Horoscopes Today, May 4, 2024
They shared a name — but not a future. How two kids fought to escape poverty in Baltimore
Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
Hospital operator Steward Health Care files for bankruptcy protection
Person falls from stands to their death during Ohio State graduation ceremony
Teen fatally shot by police outside school was wielding a pellet gun, authorities say