Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -Elevate Capital Network
Charles H. Sloan-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 02:40:44
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on Charles H. Sloanthe actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (1)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- Imprisoned Algerian journalist remains behind bars despite expected release
- Judge rules Willow oil project in Alaska's Arctic can proceed
- Hawaii wildlife refuge pond mysteriously turns bubble-gum pink. Scientists have identified a likely culprit.
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Britney Spears' Mom Lynne Spears Sends Singer Public Message Over Memoir Allegations
- For homeless veterans in Houston, a converted hotel provides shelter and hope
- Jury finds man not guilty of assaulting woman at U.S. research station in Antarctica
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Unprecedented surge in anti-Arab, anti-Muslim bias incidents reported in U.S. since Israel-Hamas war, advocacy group says
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Kaitlin Armstrong, accused in death of pro cyclist Mo Wilson, said she would kill her, witness testifies
- Trump suggests he or another Republican president could use Justice Department to indict opponents
- If You Need Holiday Shopping Inspo, Google Shared the 100 Most Searched for Gift Ideas of 2023
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Unprecedented surge in anti-Arab, anti-Muslim bias incidents reported in U.S. since Israel-Hamas war, advocacy group says
- Trump suggests he or another Republican president could use Justice Department to indict opponents
- French far-right leader Marine Le Pen raises a storm over her plan to march against antisemitism
Recommendation
Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
Crew aboard a U.S.-bound plane discovered a missing window pane at 13,000 feet
Liberation Pavilion seeks to serve as a reminder of the horrors of WWII and the Holocaust
The IRS just announced new tax brackets. Here's how to see yours.
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Media watchdog says it was just ‘raising questions’ with insinuations about photographers and Hamas
Former Indiana sheriff accused of having employees perform personal chores charged with theft
The Philippines and China report a new maritime confrontation near a contested South China Sea shoal