Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked -Elevate Capital Network
NovaQuant-South Korea’s defense chief vows retaliatory strikes on ‘heart and head’ of North Korea if provoked
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:39
SEOUL,NovaQuant South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s defense minister on Friday vowed massive retaliatory missile strikes on “the heart and head” of North Korea in the event of provocation, as the rivals escalate their rhetoric over their respective spy satellite launches in recent days.
The South Korean warning — unusually fiery rhetoric by Seoul directed at Pyongyang — came as the top security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan gathered in Seoul for talks to discuss North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats and other issues.
During a visit to the army’s missile strategic command, South Korean Defense Minister Shin Wonsik ordered command officers to maintain a readiness to fire precision-guided and powerful missiles at any time, according to his ministry.
Shin said the main role of the command is “lethally striking the heart and head of the enemy, though the types of its provocations can vary,” a ministry statement said.
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space on Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans. South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, according to Seoul officials. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
Last week, when South Korea also launched its first military spy satellite from California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base, North Korea slammed the U.S. for alleged double standards and warned of a possible grave danger to global peace.
In a statement Friday, Jo Chol Su, a senior North Korean Foreign Ministry official, said the North would make all available efforts to protect its national interests in the face of threats by hostile forces.
The national security advisers from South Korea, the U.S. and Japan are to hold their first trilateral meeting in six months in Seoul on Saturday.
Ahead of the three-way meeting, South Korean national security adviser Cho Tae-yong and his Japanese counterpart, Takeo Akiba, met bilaterally on Friday and reaffirmed a need to strengthen their cooperation with the U.S. to cope with with provocations by North Korea. Cho and U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan also met and affirmed that Seoul and Washington remain open to diplomacy with North Korea, according to South Korea’s presidential office.
Earlier Friday, South Korea’s Unification Ministry accused North Korea of property rights infringements by unilaterally using South Korean-owned equipment at a now-shuttered joint factory park in the North. The ministry also accused North Korea of dismantling the remains of a South Korean-built liaison office at the park that the North blew up during a previous period of tensions in 2020.
veryGood! (4467)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Suni Lee 'on the right track' for Olympics after fourth-place finish at nationals
- Trial in the fatal daytime ambush of rapper Young Dolph reset to September
- No. 4 seed Evansville stuns East Carolina to reach NCAA baseball tournament super regionals
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Trisha Paytas Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Husband Moses Hacmon
- Mother of airman killed by Florida deputy says his firing, alone, won’t cut it
- Indiana Fever legend Tamika Catchings weighs in on Caitlin Clark, cheap shot, WNBA pressure
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Battle with Texas rancher ends, 249 'zombie deer' killed amid state's largest CWD outbreak
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Brother Marquis of Miami hip-hop group 2 Live Crew has died at 58
- Epoch Times CFO charged with participating in $67M money laundering scheme
- When Calls the Heart Star Mamie Laverock's Family Says Fall Was Unintended in Latest Health Update
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Kentucky governor unveils rental housing projects for region still recovering from 2021 tornadoes
- Florida ends Oklahoma's 20-game postseason win streak with home-run barrage at WCWS
- Free Krispy Kreme for all on National Doughnut Day. How to walk off with your favorite flavor
Recommendation
The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
Kentucky governor unveils rental housing projects for region still recovering from 2021 tornadoes
Intelligence chairman says US may be less prepared for election threats than it was four years ago
83-year-old woman gored by bison at Yellowstone National Park
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Memorial for Baltimore bridge collapse victims vandalized
Muhammad Ali’s childhood home is for sale in Kentucky after being converted into a museum
Police probing deadly street party in Ohio believe drive-by shooter opened fire
Tags
Like
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Biden rolls out migration order that aims to shut down asylum requests, after months of anticipation
- This morning's parade of planets proved underwhelming. NASA gave a date for an even better and brighter one.