Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Ethiopia launching joint investigation with Saudi Arabia after report alleges hundreds of migrants killed by border guards -Elevate Capital Network
SafeX Pro Exchange|Ethiopia launching joint investigation with Saudi Arabia after report alleges hundreds of migrants killed by border guards
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 03:22:12
Ethiopia will launch a joint investigation with Saudi Arabia into a Human Rights Watch report accusing the kingdom's border guards of killing hundreds of Ethiopian migrants,SafeX Pro Exchange the foreign ministry said Tuesday.
"The Government of Ethiopia will promptly investigate the incident in tandem with the Saudi Authorities," the ministry said on X, formerly Twitter, a day after the publication of the HRW report sparked global outrage.
"At this critical juncture, it is highly advised to exercise utmost restraint from making unnecessary speculations until [the] investigation is complete," the ministry said, noting the "excellent longstanding relations" between Addis Ababa and Riyadh.
The allegations, described as "unfounded" by a Saudi government source, point to a surge in abuses along the perilous route from the Horn of Africa to Saudi Arabia, where hundreds of thousands of Ethiopians live and work.
One 20-year-old woman from Ethiopia's Oromia region, interviewed by HRW, said Saudi border guards opened fire on a group of migrants they had just released from custody.
"They fired on us like rain. When I remember, I cry," she said.
Washington, a long-time ally of Riyadh, urged "a thorough and transparent investigation" into the allegations, which were dismissed by a Saudi government source who spoke to AFP.
"The allegations included in the Human Rights Watch report about Saudi border guards shooting Ethiopians while they were crossing the Saudi-Yemeni border are unfounded and not based on reliable sources," said the source, who requested anonymity.
The European Union noted with "concern" the HRW allegations and plans to raise them with Riyadh and with the Huthi rebels who control strategic parts of Yemen, a spokesman, Peter Stano, said Tuesday.
"We welcome the announcement by the government of Ethiopia, specifically, to investigate the whole issue together with the authorities in Saudi Arabia," he said.
United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric called the report "very concerning" but noted the "serious" allegations were difficult to verify.
New York-based HRW has documented abuses against Ethiopian migrants in Saudi Arabia and Yemen for nearly a decade.
But it said the latest killings appear to be "widespread and systematic" and may amount to crimes against humanity.
Last year, UN experts reported "concerning allegations" that "cross-border artillery shelling and small-arms fire by Saudi Arabia security forces killed approximately 430 migrants" in southern Saudi Arabia and northern Yemen during the first four months of 2022.
In March that year, repatriation of Ethiopians from Saudi Arabia began under an agreement between the two countries.
Ethiopia's foreign ministry said about 100,000 of its citizens were expected to be sent home over several months.
- In:
- Human Rights Watch
- Human rights
- Saudi Arabia
- Ethiopia
- Migrants
veryGood! (21578)
Related
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Kentucky’s new education chief promotes ambitious agenda
- Michigan doctor charged with taking photos and videos of naked children and adults
- The Latest: Walz is expected to accept the party’s nomination for vice president at DNC Day 3
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Nebraska man accepts plea deal in case of an active shooter drill that prosecutors say went too far
- NYC parks worker charged with murder as a hate crime in killing of migrant
- Maine mass shooting report says Army, law enforcement missed chances to avert attacks
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Georgia, Ohio State start at top of college football's NCAA Re-Rank 1-134
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Gigi Hadid Shares Rare Glimpse of Daughter Khai Malik in Summer Photo Diary
- 2 Louisiana Supreme Court candidates disqualified, leaving 1 on the ballot
- Top prosecutor in Arizona’s Apache County and his wife indicted on charges of misusing public funds
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Judge rejects GOP call to give Wisconsin youth prison counselors more freedom to punish inmates
- Lawsuit accuses Oregon police department of illegally monitoring progressive activists
- Taylor Swift sings with 'producer of the century' Jack Antonoff in London
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Nebraska man accepts plea deal in case of an active shooter drill that prosecutors say went too far
Taylor Swift reveals Eras Tour secrets in 'I Can Do It With a Broken Heart' music video
Police raid Andrew Tate’s home in Romania as new allegations emerge involving minors
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
India’s lunar lander finds signs a vast magma ocean may have once existed on the moon
At least 55 arrested after clashes with police outside Israeli Consulate in Chicago during DNC
23 indicted in alleged schemes to smuggle drugs, phones into Georgia prisons with drones