Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|San Francisco goes after websites that make AI deepfake nudes of women and girls -Elevate Capital Network
Robert Brown|San Francisco goes after websites that make AI deepfake nudes of women and girls
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:40:58
Nearly a year after AI-generated nude images of high school girls upended a community in southern Spain,Robert Brown a juvenile court this summer sentenced 15 of their classmates to a year of probation.
But the artificial intelligence tool used to create the harmful deepfakes is still easily accessible on the internet, promising to “undress any photo” uploaded to the website within seconds.
Now a new effort to shut down the app and others like it is being pursued in California, where San Francisco this week filed a first-of-its-kind lawsuit that experts say could set a precedent but will also face many hurdles.
“The proliferation of these images has exploited a shocking number of women and girls across the globe,” said David Chiu, the elected city attorney of San Francisco who brought the case against a group of widely visited websites based in Estonia, Serbia, the United Kingdom and elsewhere.
“These images are used to bully, humiliate and threaten women and girls,” he said in an interview with The Associated Press. “And the impact on the victims has been devastating on their reputation, mental health, loss of autonomy, and in some instances, causing some to become suicidal.”
The lawsuit brought on behalf of the people of California alleges that the services broke numerous state laws against fraudulent business practices, nonconsensual pornography and the sexual abuse of children. But it can be hard to determine who runs the apps, which are unavailable in phone app stores but still easily found on the internet.
Contacted late last year by the AP, one service claimed by email that its “CEO is based and moves throughout the USA” but declined to provide any evidence or answer other questions. The AP is not naming the specific apps being sued in order to not promote them.
“There are a number of sites where we don’t know at this moment exactly who these operators are and where they’re operating from, but we have investigative tools and subpoena authority to dig into that,” Chiu said. “And we will certainly utilize our powers in the course of this litigation.”
Many of the tools are being used to create realistic fakes that “nudify” photos of clothed adult women, including celebrities, without their consent. But they’ve also popped up in schools around the world, from Australia to Beverly Hills in California, typically with boys creating the images of female classmates that then circulate widely through social media.
In one of the first widely publicized cases last September in Almendralejo, Spain, a physician whose daughter was among a group of girls victimized last year and helped bring it to the public’s attention said she’s satisfied by the severity of the sentence their classmates are facing after a court decision earlier this summer.
But it is “not only the responsibility of society, of education, of parents and schools, but also the responsibility of the digital giants that profit from all this garbage,” Dr. Miriam al Adib Mendiri said in an interview Friday.
She applauded San Francisco’s action but said more efforts are needed, including from bigger companies like California-based Meta Platforms and its subsidiary WhatsApp, which was used to circulate the images in Spain.
While schools and law enforcement agencies have sought to punish those who make and share the deepfakes, authorities have struggled with what to do about the tools themselves.
In January, the executive branch of the European Union explained in a letter to a Spanish member of the European Parliament that the app used in Almendralejo “does not appear” to fall under the bloc’s sweeping new rules for bolstering online safety because it’s not a big enough platform.
Organizations that have been tracking the growth of AI-generated child sexual abuse material will be closely following the San Francisco case.
The lawsuit “has the potential to set legal precedent in this area,” said Emily Slifer, the director of policy at Thorn, an organization that works to combat the sexual exploitation of children.
A researcher at Stanford University said that because so many of the defendants are based outside the U.S., it will be harder to bring them to justice.
Chiu “has an uphill battle with this case, but may be able to get some of the sites taken offline if the defendants running them ignore the lawsuit,” said Stanford’s Riana Pfefferkorn.
She said that could happen if the city wins by default in their absence and obtains orders affecting domain-name registrars, web hosts and payment processors “that would effectively shutter those sites even if their owners never appear in the litigation.”
veryGood! (837)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Hunter Biden files motions to dismiss tax charges against him in California
- Kentucky's second-half defensive collapse costly in one-point road loss to LSU
- AT&T cellphone service out for tens of thousands across the country
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- Charges against alleged white supremacists are tossed by a California judge for the second time
- Americans reporting nationwide cellular outages from AT&T, Cricket Wireless and other providers
- Guilty plea from the man accused of kidnapping a 9-year-old girl from an upstate New York park
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Yale wants you to submit your test scores. University of Michigan takes opposite tack.
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Insulin prices were capped for millions. But many still struggle to afford to life-saving medication
- Alabama looks to perform second execution of inmate with controversial nitrogen hypoxia
- The White House is weighing executive actions on the border — with immigration powers used by Trump
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Wyze camera breach allowed customers to look at other people's camera feeds: What to know
- Alabama looks to perform second execution of inmate with controversial nitrogen hypoxia
- The Excerpt podcast: The ethics of fast fashion should give all of us pause
Recommendation
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Two steps forward, one step back: NFL will have zero non-white offensive coordinators
Curb your Messi Mania expectations in 2024. He wants to play every match, but will he?
'Drive-Away Dolls' review: Talented cast steers a crime comedy with sex toys and absurdity
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
LA ethics panel rejects proposed fine for ex-CBS exec Les Moonves over police probe interference
How to Watch the 2024 SAG Awards and E!'s Live From E! Red Carpet
The White House is weighing executive actions on the border — with immigration powers used by Trump