Current:Home > reviewsDanny Masterson's Lawyer Speaks Out After Actor Is Sentenced to 30 Years to Life in Prison -Elevate Capital Network
Danny Masterson's Lawyer Speaks Out After Actor Is Sentenced to 30 Years to Life in Prison
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:33
Danny Masterson's lawyer says the actor's legal battle is not over following his jail sentence for rape, maintaining that the actor didn't commit the crimes for which he was convicted.
On Sept. 7, the actor, who rose to fame in the '90s playing Steven Hyde on That '70s Show, was sentenced to 30 years to life behind bars for raping two women in 2001 and 2003 in his Hollywood Hills home. Masterson, 47, was convicted in June in a second trial, with the jury remaining deadlocked on an additional charge that he allegedly raped a third woman.
After the hearing, Shawn Holley, one of Masterson's attorneys, said in a statement to multiple outlets that "a team of the top appellate lawyers in the country has been reviewing the transcripts of the trial" and "have identified a number of significant evidentiary and constitutional issues which they will address in briefs to both state and federal appellate courts."
The attorney continued, "The errors which occurred in this case are substantial and unfortunately, led to verdicts which are not supported by the evidence. And though we have great respect for the jury in this case and for our system of justice overall, sometimes they get it wrong. And that's what happened here."
Masterson, Holley said, "did not commit the crimes for which he has been convicted and we—and the appellate lawyers—the best and the brightest in the country—are confident that these convictions will be overturned."
After the Los Angeles County Superior Court's sentencing of Masterson, Alison Anderson, a lawyer representing two accusers, said in a statement to E! News that her clients had "displayed tremendous strength and bravery" in coming forward. She added, "Despite persistent harassment, obstruction and intimidation, these courageous women helped hold a ruthless sexual predator accountable today."
In addition, Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said in a statement to E! News that he applauded the women for "coming forward and participating in this process."
He continued, "My hope is that this sentence will somehow bring them peace and that their bravery will be an example to others." He also said, "One of my top priorities is to ensure that Los Angeles will no longer be a hunting ground for Hollywood elite who feel entitled to prey on women."
Prosecutors had said that Masterson, who previously pleaded not guilty to the rape charges, met the accusers through the Church of Scientology. The women had accused the organization of pressuring them into not reporting the allegations to police. The church denied those allegations, telling E! News in a statement earlier this year that the group "has no policy prohibiting or discouraging members from reporting criminal conduct of anyone—Scientologists or not—to law enforcement."
Masterson's career had already been impacted by the allegations prior to his conviction this year. In 2017, after he was first accused of sexually assaulting multiple women, the actor was fired from the Netflix series The Ranch.
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (6683)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 2 women charged after operating unlicensed cosmetic surgery recovery house in Miami
- US defense secretary is in Israel to meet with its leaders and see America’s security assistance
- Officer shooting in Minnesota: 5 officers suffered gunshot wounds; suspect arrested
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Republicans tweak Brewers stadium repair plan to cut the total public contribution by $54 million
- Here's Your First Look at Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell's Headline-Making Movie Anyone But You
- As Israel battles Hamas, all eyes are on Hezbollah, the wild card on its northern border
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Jacob Wetterling's mom speaks out on son's case, advocacy work ahead of new book
Ranking
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- As Israel battles Hamas, all eyes are on Hezbollah, the wild card on its northern border
- In Beirut, Iran’s foreign minister warns war could spread if Israeli bombardment of Gaza continues
- Israel’s military orders civilians to evacuate Gaza City, ahead of a feared ground offensive
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- China’s exports, imports fell 6.2% in September as global demand faltered
- 1 officer convicted, 1 acquitted in death of Elijah McClain
- China’s exports, imports fell 6.2% in September as global demand faltered
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Hamas training videos, posted months ago, foreshadowed assault on Israel
In 'Eras Tour' movie, Taylor Swift shows women how to reject the mandate of one identity
17 Florida sheriff's office employees charged with COVID relief fraud: Feds
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Climate change raises concerns for future of marathons and runner safety: Analysis
As elections near, Congo says it will ease military rule in the conflict-riddled east
Republican challenger uses forum to try to nationalize Kentucky governor’s race