Current:Home > MarketsAppeals court allows part of Biden student loan repayment plan to go forward -Elevate Capital Network
Appeals court allows part of Biden student loan repayment plan to go forward
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 02:09:30
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal appeals court has allowed the U.S. Education Department to move ahead with a plan to lower monthly payments for millions of student loan borrowers, putting on hold a ruling last week by a lower court.
The ruling from the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals puts back on track a central part of President Joe Biden’s efforts to address student debt — a rule that lowers from 10% of discretionary income to 5% the amount that some borrowers qualifying for a repayment plan need to pay.
The reduced payment threshold was set to take effect July 1, but federal judges in Kansas and Missouri last week blocked much of the administration’s student loan repayment plan in two separate rulings. The ruling on Sunday means the department can move ahead with the reduced payments already calculated while it pursues an appeal.
The rulings have created a difficult environment for borrowers to navigate, said Persis Yu, deputy executive director of the Student Borrower Protection Center, which advocates for eliminating student debt. The stay granted by the 10th Circuit is temporary, Yu said, leaving many borrowers in the dark about future financial obligations.
“Borrowers are having to make decisions right now about their financial lives, and they don’t know the very basic information that they need in order to make informed decisions,” Yu said.
The Biden administration created the SAVE plan last year to replace other existing income-based repayment plans offered by the federal government. It allowed many to qualify for lower payments, and forgiveness was granted to borrowers who had made payments for at least 10 years and originally borrowed $12,000 or less.
U.S. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said the Biden administrations remains committed “to our work to fix a broken student loan system and make college more affordable for more Americans.”
The appeals court ruling does not impact the injunction issued by a federal judge in Missouri, which prevents the Education Department from forgiving loan balances going forward.
The injunctions are the result of lawsuits from Republican-led states seeking to invalidate the Biden administration’s entire loan forgiveness program, which was first available to borrowers in the summer of 2023, and at least 150,000 have had their loans cancelled. The suing states argued that the administration’s plan was a workaround after the Supreme Court struck down the original plan for student loan forgiveness earlier that year.
___
The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.
veryGood! (86)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Chiefs star Travis Kelce on Aaron Rodgers' 'Mr. Pfizer' jab: I'm 'comfortable' with it
- Deaths rise to 47 after an icy flood swept through India’s Himalayan northeast
- UAW President Shawn Fain lambasts auto execs while wearing 'EAT THE RICH' T-shirt
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Former legislator fired as CEO of Humane Society of Southern Arizona over missing animals
- NJ attorney general looking into 2018 investigation of crash involving Nadine Menendez
- China’s flagging economy gets a temporary boost as holiday travel returns to pre-pandemic levels
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Hong Kong cancels scores of flights as Tropical Storm Koinu draws nearer
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- WWE Fastlane 2023 results: Seth Rollins prevails in wild Last Man Standing match, more
- Alaska fishermen will be allowed to harvest lucrative red king crab in the Bering Sea
- Why the NFL cares about Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Q&A: A Reporter Joins Scientists as They Work to Stop the Killing of Cougars
- 21 Savage cleared to legally travel abroad with plans of international performance in London
- Iran says Armita Geravand, 16, bumped her head on a train, but questions abound a year after Mahsa Amini died
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
A concert film of Beyonce's Renaissance World Tour is coming to theaters
How kids are making sense of climate change and extreme weather
NFL's biggest early season surprise? Why Houston Texans stand out
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Japan auteur Yamada sticks to exploring the human condition after 90 films
NFL's biggest early season surprise? Why Houston Texans stand out
Who should be on upset alert? Bold predictions for Week 6 of college football