Current:Home > InvestOhio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors -Elevate Capital Network
Ohio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 05:22:10
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio court has referred to county prosecutors a criminal case brought by a citizens’ group against the Republican presidential and vice presidential candidates over their comments about Haitian immigrants but rejected the group’s call to issue arrest warrants or misdemeanor summons.
Springfield officials said in a statement Saturday that the Clark County municipal court found no probable cause to issue warrants or summons on misdemeanor charges against former president Donald Trump and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance. “The matter was then referred to the Clark County prosecutor’s office for further investigation,” city officials said.
The Springfield News-Sun reports that the judicial panel said particular consideration should be given to “the strong constitutional protections afforded to speech, and political speech in particular” with the election so close and the “contentious” nature of the issue of immigration.
The Haitian Bridge Alliance, a nonprofit group representing the Haitian community, last month invoked a private-citizen right to file charges over the chaos and threats experienced since Trump first spread false claims about legal immigrants there during a presidential debate.
“Their persistence and relentlessness, even in the face of the governor and the mayor saying this is false, that shows intent,” said the group’s attorney, Subodh Chandra of the Cleveland-based Chandra Law Firm. “It’s knowing, willful flouting of criminal law.”
Steven Cheung of the Trump-Vance campaign said the former president was “rightfully highlighting the failed immigration system that (Vice President) Kamala Harris has overseen, bringing thousands of illegal immigrants pouring into communities like Springfield and many others across the country.”
The 15,000 to 20,000 Haitian immigrants who have arrived in Springfield over the past several years — in many cases after being recruited to local jobs — have been granted “temporary protected status” to be in the U.S. legally.
“It is crucial to foster discussions around sensitive issues, particularly those concerning immigration, with a commitment to truth and integrity,” Springfield officials said. The city said it was “dedicated to promoting constructive dialogue and addressing community concerns transparently” and added that “the safety and well-being of all residents, including the Haitian immigrant community, continue to be our highest priority.”
veryGood! (48227)
Related
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- John Legend Reveals How Kids Luna and Miles Are Adjusting to Life as Big Siblings to Esti and Wren
- Taliban minister attends meeting in Pakistan despite tensions over expulsions of Afghans
- Suspected serial killer faces life in prison after being convicted of 2 murders by Delaware jury
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Rio de Janeiro mayor wants to project Taylor Swift T-shirt on Jesus Christ statue
- Kim Kardashian on divorce from Ye, leaving school with dad Robert Kardashian for O.J. Simpson trial
- Review: 'A Murder at the End of the World' is Agatha Christie meets TikTok (in a good way)
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Jerry O'Connell reacts to John Stamos writing about wife Rebecca Romijn in 'negative manner'
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Cuban private grocery stores thrive but only a few people can afford them
- China’s economy shows sparks of life, despite persisting weakness in troubled real estate sector
- Glen Powell Addresses Alleged Affair With Costar Sydney Sweeney
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Ohio commission approves fracking in state parks and wildlife areas despite fraud investigation
- A Pine Bluff attorney launches a bid for a south Arkansas congressional seat as filing period ends
- Japanese actor-director Kitano says his new film explores homosexual relations in the samurai world
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
'Eyeliner' examines the cosmetic's history as a symbol of strength and protest
US Catholic bishops meet; leaders call for unity and peace amid internal strife and global conflict
This Texas woman divorced her husband to become his guardian. Now she cares for him — with her new husband
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
After controversy, Texas school board says transgender student can sing in school musical
Donald Trump's Truth Social has lost $23 million this year. Its accountants warn it may not survive.
Michigan judge says Trump can stay on primary ballot, rejecting challenge under insurrection clause