Current:Home > reviewsU.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken meets with Palestinian Authority president during West Bank trip -Elevate Capital Network
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken meets with Palestinian Authority president during West Bank trip
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:17:25
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken brought his frenetic Mideast diplomatic push on the Israel-Hamas war to the occupied West Bank on Sunday, meeting with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in his latest bid to ease civilian suffering in the Gaza Strip and begin to sketch out a post-conflict scenario for the territory.
Blinken traveled to Ramallah for his previously unannounced visit in an armored motorcade and under tight security just hours after Israeli warplanes struck a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, killing at least 40 people and wounding dozens, health officials said. Despite the secrecy and the State Department refusing to confirm the trip until after Blinken had physically left the West Bank, protests erupted against his visit and U.S. support for Israel as word of his arrival leaked.
Aside from pleasantries, neither man spoke as they greeted each other in front of cameras and the meeting ended without any public comment. It was not immediately clear if the lack of words indicated the meeting had gone poorly.
Husam Zomlot, Palestinian ambassador to the U.K, told "Face the Nation" on Sunday that the meeting was tense "because there are differences."
"Our president demanded an immediate ceasefire to the atrocious, murderous assault by Israel on our civilians, on our people," Zomlot said. "This is not a war against Hamas. It's clear since it started, it's a war against our people, not only in Gaza, by the way, but also in the West Bank."
Zomlot said the U.S. has an opportunity to be a peacemaker and that the Palestinians and Israelis need "a grown up in the room and that is the U.S."
Blinken then made an unannounced visit to Cyprus, where he was greeted by Cyprus President Nikos Christodoulides and Foreign Minister Constantinos Kombos, who he invited back into the plane for a meeting.
He then traveled to Baghdad for another surprise visit, during which he met with Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shiaa al-Sudani. "The Secretary urged the Prime Minister to hold accountable those responsible for continuing attacks on U.S. personnel in Iraq," State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said in a statement. They also discussed the need to prevent the Israel-Hamas conflict from spreading and the humanitarian situation in Gaza, including "the need to ensure that Palestinians are not forcibly displaced outside of Gaza," Miller said.
At a news conference in Baghdad, Blinken called it a "good, productive, candid meeting."
"I made very clear that the attacks, the threats, coming from militia that are aligned with Iran are totally unacceptable," Blinken said, adding, "We're not looking for conflict with Iran."
A humanitarian pause in the fighting in Gaza could "advance the prospect" of returning hostages to Israel and also help Palestinians who are desperate for aid, Blinken said, noting that "we have about 100 trucks a day going in. That's good, but it's grossly insufficient."
In the meeting with Abbas, State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said Blinken reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to the delivery of life-saving humanitarian assistance and resumption of essential services in Gaza and made clear that Palestinians must not be forcibly displaced.
Blinken and Abbas discussed efforts to restore calm and stability in the West Bank, including the need to stop extremist violence against Palestinians and hold those accountable responsible, Miller said, in reference to violence being committed by Israeli settlers.
The meeting with Abbas, whose Ramallah-based Palestinian Authority has not been a factor in Gaza since Hamas took it over by force in 2007, came at the start of Blinken's third day of an intense Middle East tour – his second since the war began with a surprise Hamas attack on Israel on Oct. 7. Blinken had visited Israel and met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday before decamping to Jordan for meetings with senior Arab officials on Saturday.
At each stop, Blinken has offered firm U.S. support for Israel's right to defend itself but also stressed that it must adhere to the laws of war, protect civilians and increase humanitarian aid supplies to Gaza. To do that, as well as to ease the flow of foreigners fleeing Gaza, he has made the case that Israel should implement rolling humanitarian pauses to its airstrikes and ground operations, something that Netanyahu has thus far flatly rejected.
U.S. officials believe that Netanyahu may soften his opposition if he can be convinced that it is in Israel's strategic interests to ease the plight of Palestinian civilians in Gaza. The soaring death toll has sparked growing international anger, with tens of thousands from Washington to Berlin taking to the streets over the weekend to demand an immediate cease-fire.
The Arab foreign ministers that Blinken met with on Saturday in Amman – from Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates – issued the same demand.
But Blinken said the U.S. would not push for one.
"It is our view now that a cease-fire would simply leave Hamas in place, able to regroup and repeat what it did on Oct. 7," he said. Instead he said that temporary humanitarian pauses in fighting would be critical to protecting civilians, getting aid in and getting foreign nationals out "while still enabling Israel to achieve its objective, the defeat of Hamas."
Arab officials said it was far too soon to discuss one of Blinken's main agenda items, Gaza's postwar future. Stopping the killing and restoring steady humanitarian aid are immediate that must be addressed first, they said.
"How can we even entertain what will happen next?" said Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi. "We need to get our priorities straight."
Arab states are resisting American suggestions that they play a larger role in resolving crisis, expressing outrage at the civilian toll of the Israeli military operations but believing Gaza to be a problem largely of Israel's own making.
But U.S. officials believe Arab backing, no matter how modest, will be critical to efforts to ease the worsening conditions in Gaza and lay the groundwork for what would replace Hamas as the territory's governing authority, if and when Israel succeeds in eradicating the group.
Still ideas on Gaza's future governance are few and far between. Blinken and other U.S. officials are offering a vague outline that it might include a combination of a revitalized Palestinian Authority along with international organizations and potentially a peacekeeping force. U.S. officials acknowledge these ideas have been met with a distinct lack of enthusiasm.
- In:
- Antony Blinken
- Palestinian Authority
- Mahmoud Abbas
- Israel
- West Bank
veryGood! (558)
Related
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Morgan Wallen, Eric Church team up to revitalize outdoor brand Field & Stream
- Rights group reports more arrests as Belarus intensifies crackdown on dissent
- Dominican judge orders conditional release of US rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine in domestic violence case
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- School choice measure will reach Kentucky’s November ballot, key lawmaker predicts
- Apple will open iPhone to alternative app stores, lower fees in Europe to comply with regulations
- Former elected official held in Vegas journalist’s killing has new lawyer, wants to go to trial
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Middle school students return to class for the 1st time since Iowa school shooting
Ranking
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Who invented butter chicken? A court is expected to decide.
- Oklahoma trooper hit, thrown in traffic stop as vehicle crashes into parked car: Watch
- Boston man pleads guilty in scheme to hire someone to kill his estranged wife and her boyfriend
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Apple will open iPhone to alternative app stores, lower fees in Europe to comply with regulations
- Herbert Coward, known for Toothless Man role in ‘Deliverance,’ dies in North Carolina highway crash
- Mislabeled cookies containing peanuts sold in Connecticut recalled after death of New York woman
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Music student from China convicted of harassing person over democracy leaflet
Apple will open iPhone to alternative app stores, lower fees in Europe to comply with regulations
Teen murder suspect still on the run after fleeing from Philadelphia hospital
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Storm hits Australia with strong winds and power outages, but weakens from cyclone to tropical storm
El Gringo — alleged drug lord suspected in murders of 3 journalists — captured in Ecuador
Judge says Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers can be questioned in Trump fake electors lawsuit