Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Elevate Capital Network
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 07:28:35
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (8467)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Shohei Ohtani 50-50 home run ball: Auction starts with lawsuit looming
- How Tigers turned around season to secure first postseason berth since 2014
- Georgia-Alabama leads Top 25 matchups leading seven college football games to watch in Week 5
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Zendaya’s New Wax Figure Truly Rewrites the Stars
- Joe Wolf, who played for North Carolina and 7 NBA teams, dies at 59
- Indianapolis man sentenced to 189 years for killing 3 young men found along a path
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- NY judge denies governor’s bid to toss suit challenging decision to halt Manhattan congestion fee
Ranking
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- 5 people killed in a 4-vehicle chain reaction crash on central Utah highway
- App State cancels football game against Liberty in North Carolina after Helene causes flooding
- Dozens dead and millions without power after Helene’s deadly march across southeastern US
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- 5 people killed in a 4-vehicle chain reaction crash on central Utah highway
- Former 'Survivor' player, Louisiana headmaster convicted of taping students' mouths shut
- Footage of motorcade racing JFK to the hospital after he was shot sells for $137,500 at auction
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
App State cancels football game against Liberty in North Carolina after Helene causes flooding
Minnesota reports rare human death from rabies
After 20 years and a move to Berlin, Xiu Xiu is still making music for outsiders
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
The 26 Most Shopped Celebrity Product Recommendations This Month: Kyle Richards, Kandi Burruss & More
Asheville has been largely cut off after Helene wrecked roads and knocked out power and cell service
Stephen Amell was focused on 'NCIS' spinoff when he landed 'Suits' gig