Current:Home > reviewsA voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed -Elevate Capital Network
A voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 09:00:41
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s election board threw out on Tuesday a voter’s challenge to keep former President Donald Trump off the March presidential primary ballots that argues that the Constitution disqualifies Trump because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The State Board of Elections, composed of three Democrats and two Republicans, voted 4-1 to dismiss the candidate challenge made by Brian Martin, of Stokes County. The majority determined that it lacked the authority in state law to consider such a challenge. The rejection of the challenge could be appealed to state court.
Martin, a business consultant and retired lawyer, wrote that Trump wasn’t qualified to be president because he violated a section of the 14th Amendment that bars from office anyone who once took an oath to uphold the Constitution but then “engaged” in “insurrection or rebellion” against it. The provision was used primarily after the Civil War to keep former confederates out of government.
Trump opponents argue the section applies to the ex-president for his part in trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election and encouraging his backers to storm the U.S. Capitol. Lawsuits in other states seeking to keep him off the ballot have been unsuccessful.
Board members said Tuesday that the ruling didn’t prevent someone from trying to challenge Trump’s candidacy for the general election should he win the GOP nomination, WRAL-TV reported. Siobhan Millen, a Democrat and the lone vote against dismissing the challenge, said the board was “hiding behind a technicality” to avoid the issue now.
The dismissal came as the state board gave initial approval to names of the presidential candidates that will be on the March 5 primary ballots for the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian parties.
The board approved the candidates offered by party leaders earlier this month. The board will meet Jan. 2 to consider additional names before ballots are printed.
State law directed the parties earlier this month to provide lists that must have candidates “whose candidacy is generally advocated and recognized in the news media throughout the United States or in North Carolina.”
The state Democratic Party listed only President Joe Biden. Other announced candidates like U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., and Marianne Williamson were omitted.
In addition to Trump, the state GOP’s letter identified Ryan Binkley, Chris Christie, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson and Vivek Ramaswamy. The Libertarian Party listed 10 names for their presidential primary ballot.
The Green Party and the No Labels Party also are official parties in North Carolina. They can offer presidential tickets in 2024 to place on the general election ballots.
veryGood! (59538)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Drew Barrymore says she will pause the return of her talk show until the strike is over
- Surveillance video prompts Connecticut elections officials to investigate Bridgeport primary
- Jason Kelce Says Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Romance Rumors Are 100 Percent True
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- 'Robotic' Bears quarterback Justin Fields says he hasn't been playing like himself
- Why Jon Bon Jovi Won’t Be Performing at His Son Jake’s Wedding to Millie Bobby Brown
- Pennsylvania’s Senate wants an earlier 2024 presidential primary, partly to have a say on nominees
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Alex Murdaugh plans to do something he hasn’t yet done in court — plead guilty
Ranking
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Tenor Stephen Gould dies at age 61 after being diagnosed with bile duct cancer
- An Idaho man has measles. Health officials are trying to see if the contagious disease has spread.
- Normal operations return to MGM Resorts 10 days after cyberattack, casino company says
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- GOP state Rep. Richard Nelson withdraws from Louisiana governor’s race
- A Danish artist submitted blank frames as artwork. Now, he has to repay the museum
- TikToker Alix Earle Reflects on Her Dad's Affair With Ashley Dupré
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Bank of America increases minimum wage for fifth consecutive year
Booze, brawls and broken sharks: The shocking true story behind the making of 'Jaws'
Work stress can double men's risk of heart disease, study shows
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Autopsy finds man who was punched at New England Patriots game before he died had medical issue
Sophie Turner, Taylor Swift step out for girls night amid actress' divorce from Joe Jonas
Tuberville tries to force a vote on single military nomination as he continues blockade