Current:Home > FinanceReported cancellation of Virginia menorah lighting draws rebuke from governor -Elevate Capital Network
Reported cancellation of Virginia menorah lighting draws rebuke from governor
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:25:06
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) — Virginia political leaders, including Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin, on Monday condemned the reported cancellation of a menorah lighting at a community event in Williamsburg over apparent concerns related to the Israel-Hamas war.
The criticism from Youngkin and members of the General Assembly from both parties came after the Virginia Gazette reported over the weekend that the ceremony, which had been scheduled for a monthly art and musical festival happening Dec. 10, had been canceled.
Shirley Vermillion, the festival’s founder, told the newspaper that the menorah lighting “seemed very inappropriate” in light of the conflict.
“The concern is of folks feeling like we are siding with a group over the other … not a direction we ever decide to head,” Vermillion told the newspaper for Sunday’s story.
Youngkin — who has been outspoken in his support of Israel since Hamas’ bloody Oct. 7 rampage — said on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Singling out the Jewish community by canceling this Hanukkah celebration is absurd and antisemitic. The event organizers should immediately reconsider their actions and move forward with the menorah lighting.”
Other leaders echoed those concerns, including former Virginia House Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn, a Democrat, who called on the group to reverse course.
“Canceling the menorah lighting ceremony and holding Jewish people responsible for the ongoing conflict in the Middle East is shocking and outrageous. This type of hate has no place in Virginia,” she wrote on X.
By Monday, the Virginia Gazette reported that a Williamsburg rabbi had found a new location for the ceremony.
The newspaper and other outlets also reported Monday that event organizers said in a statement that the event was never canceled because it was never scheduled in the first place.
“It was proposed but was not consistent with the purpose of this non-religious, community art and music festival, and the proposal was denied. In 14 years this street festival has never had a religious program as one of its events. This is not a discriminatory act but one based on the objectives of the organization and the sincere desire to make this monthly event a place where all people can come together to enjoy MUSIC and ART,” the statement said, according to TV station WTKR.
Associated Press inquiries to the organization sent by email were not immediately returned.
Chabad Williamsburg Rabbi Mendy Heber told the newspaper he’d wanted to have the menorah lighting at the festival in an effort to “bring people together with Jewish pride and unity.”
It will now be held on William & Mary’s campus on Thursday, the first night of Hanukkah, according to the newspaper.
“We’re going to make this Hanukkah bigger and brighter than ever,” he said. “That is how we respond to darkness.”
veryGood! (9447)
Related
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Are Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes Ready to Get Married? She Says…
- Man shot to death, woman clinging to life after being stabbed multiple times in Atlanta home
- Is black tea good for you? How about herbal? Here's what to know about health benefits.
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- First cardinal prosecuted in Vatican's criminal court convicted of embezzlement
- Nearly 200 false bomb threats at institutions, synagogues. Jewish community is on alert.
- Afghan student made a plea for his uninvited homeland at U.N. climate summit
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- German railway operator Deutsche Bahn launches effort to sell logistics unit Schenker
Ranking
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Lawsuit says Georgia’s lieutenant governor should be disqualified for acting as Trump elector
- US Steel to be acquired by Japan's Nippon Steel for nearly $15 billion, companies announce
- Mason Rudolph will get the start at QB for struggling Steelers in Week 15 vs. Bengals
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Watchdog group accuses Ron DeSantis of breaking campaign finance law
- Mexico’s president calls for state prosecutor’s ouster after 12 were killed leaving holiday party
- FDA database that tracks heart device harms may miss red flags, safety experts warn
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Sheikh Nawaf, Kuwait's ruling emir, dies at 86
EPA Begins a Review Process That Could Bring an End to Toxic, Flammable Vinyl Chloride
Millions of Apple users can claim part of a $25 million settlement. Here's how.
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
NFL suspends Steelers' Damontae Kazee for rest of season for hit on Colts receiver
Apple is halting sales of its Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 devices. Here's why.
Colorado releases first 5 wolves in reintroduction plan approved by voters to chagrin of ranchers