Current:Home > reviewsAssistant principal charged with felony child abuse in 6-year-old's shooting of teacher -Elevate Capital Network
Assistant principal charged with felony child abuse in 6-year-old's shooting of teacher
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:59:48
The assistant principal of the Virginia school where a 6-year-old boy shot his first grade teacher has been charged with eight counts of felony child abuse and disregard for life, according to an indictment unsealed on Tuesday.
Ebony Parker, who worked for Richneck Elementary School on Jan. 6, 2023, when Abigail Zwerner was shot by her student, was indicted on March 11. But the charges were not unsealed until Tuesday, according to the Virginia courts website. Parker is not yet in custody.
Parker committed "a willful act or omission in the care of such students” that was “so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life," and should be held on $4,000 bond, according to a copy of the indictment obtained by the Virginian-Pilot.
The charges, all class 6 felonies, each carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
More:James and Jennifer Crumbley, parents of Michigan shooter, sentenced to 10 to 15 years in prison
Teacher's lawsuit claims Parker ignored warnings ahead of shooting
Zwerner filed a lawsuit in April of 2023 seeking $40 million in damages from school officials. In the lawsuit, Zwerner claimed Parker received multiple warnings of the boy's violent behavior, but failed to take action to prevent the shooting.
In a notice of claim sent to the Newport News School District by her attorney, Zwerner alleged she visited Parker's office hours before the shooting to report that the boy "seemed more ‘off’ than usual and was in a violent mood." She reported that he had already threatened to beat up another child and "angrily stared down a security officer."
“Assistant Principal Parker should have called police, instead she did not follow proper protocol and chose to do absolutely nothing,” the claim says.
Less than an hour later, another teacher told Parker that other students reported that the boy had a gun in his backpack, the claim alleges. Another teacher informed Parker of reports that the boy had the gun in his pocket, according to the claim.
"Assistant Principal Parker was made aware at the beginning of recess that Ms. Zwerner was afraid that the shooter had a gun in his pocket," Zwerner's attorney wrote. "And again nothing was done."
Zwerner was shot in the hands and chest, and was hospitalized for almost two weeks after the shooting. She resigned from her position at the school in June of 2023.
Parker resigned from her position after the shooting. John Mumford Jr., an attorney listed for her, did not immediately return a request for comment.
Cybele Mayes-Osterman is a breaking news reporter for USA Today. Reach her on email at [email protected]. Follow her on X @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Syria’s main insurgent group blasts the US Embassy over its criticism of crackdown on protesters
- North Korea’s trash rains down onto South Korea, balloon by balloon. Here’s what it means
- AP interview: Divisions among the world’s powerful nations are undermining UN efforts to end crises
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- NHTSA seeks records from Tesla in power steering loss probe
- Where Alexander “A.E.” Edwards and Travis Scott Stand After Altercation in Cannes
- Nigeria’s new anthem, written by a Briton, sparks criticism after a contentious law is passed
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Chinese national charged with operating 'world’s largest botnet' linked to billions in cybercrimes
Ranking
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- The Ultimatum and Ultimatum: Queer Love Both Returning for New Seasons: Say Yes to Details
- North Korea’s trash rains down onto South Korea, balloon by balloon. Here’s what it means
- Top McDonald's exec says $18 Big Mac meal is exception, not the rule
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Truckers suing to block New York’s congestion fee for Manhattan drivers
- Dangerous weather continues to threaten Texas; forecast puts more states on alert
- TikTokers are helping each other go viral to pay off their debts. It says a lot about us.
Recommendation
New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
Amazon Prime members will get extended Grubhub+ benefits, can order for free in Amazon app
When does the Nvidia stock split happen? What you need to know
Sweden to donate $1.23 billion in military aid to Ukraine
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
Edmunds: The best used vehicles for young drivers under $20,000
Dolly Parton Says This Is the Secret to Her 57-Year Marriage to Carl Dean
Renewable Energy Wins for Now in Michigan as Local Control Measure Fails to Make Ballot