Current:Home > ContactProsecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal -Elevate Capital Network
Prosecutors: Supreme Court decision closes door on criminal prosecutions in Flint water scandal
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 03:19:18
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan attorney general’s office said Tuesday that the state prosecution of former Gov. Rick Snyder and other officials for their roles in the Flint water scandal has ended.
A decision Tuesday by the state Supreme Court to decline to hear appeals of a lower court’s dismissal of misdemeanor charges against Snyder “effectively closes the door on the criminal prosecutions of the government officials,” prosecutors said in a release.
“At this time the court has left us with no option but to consider the Flint water prosecutions closed,” the prosecution team said.
The Michigan Supreme Court in September rejected a last-chance effort by prosecutors to revive criminal charges. The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty. The indictment against him also was dismissed, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors in September only because that case was on a different timetable.
The Associated Press left a text message Tuesday seeking comment from Snyder’s attorney.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch.
Flint was reconnected to a regional water system in 2015 and has been compliant with lead standards for seven years, regulators said.
Snyder, a Republican, acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of a crime.
“Our disappointment in the Michigan Supreme Court is exceeded only by our sorrow for the people of Flint,” the prosecution team said.
The prosecution team said Tuesday that it expects next year to release “a full and thorough report” detailing its efforts and decisions.
Separately, the state agreed to pay $600 million as part of a $626 million settlement with residents and property owners who were harmed by lead-tainted water. Most of the money is going to children.
veryGood! (474)
Related
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Duchess Meghan talks inaccurate portrayals of women on screen, praises 'incredible' Harry
- Angela Bassett Shares Her Supreme Disappointment Over Oscars Loss One Year Later
- Some fans at frigid Chiefs playoff game underwent amputations, hospital confirms
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- A Guide to 2024 Oscar Nominee Robert De Niro's Big Family
- Virginia Tech star Elizabeth Kitley ruled out of ACC tournament with knee injury
- Teen arrested after 4 children, 2 adults found dead at house in Canada: Tragic and complex investigation
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Quinoa is a celeb favorite food. What is it and why is it so popular?
Ranking
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- What restaurants are open Easter 2024? McDonald's, Cracker Barrel, Red Lobster, more
- Worst NFL trade ever? Here's where Russell Wilson swap, other disastrous deals went wrong
- Natalie Portman and Benjamin Millepied divorce after 11 years of marriage
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Utah troopers stop 12-year-old driver with tire spikes and tactical maneuvers
- Q&A: The Latest in the Battle Over Plastic Bag Bans
- Obesity drug Wegovy is approved to cut heart attack and stroke risk in overweight patients
Recommendation
Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
Princess Diana's brother Charles Spencer reveals sexual abuse at British boarding school
4 people found dead inside Texas home after large fire
'Jersey Shore' star Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino and wife announce birth of 3rd child
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Millie Bobby Brown Claps Back on Strange Commentary About Her Accent
3 prison escapees charged with murder after U.S. couple vanishes while sailing in Grenada
Maui officials aim to accelerate processing of permits to help Lahaina rebuild