Current:Home > NewsDefense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case -Elevate Capital Network
Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:39
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with raping a teenage girl at a youth holding facility in New Hampshire tried to erode the accuser’s credibility at trial Wednesday, suggesting she had a history of lying and changing her story.
Now 39, Natasha Maunsell was 15 and 16 when she was held at the Youth Detention Services Unit in Concord. Lawyers for Victor Malavet, 62, who faces 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, say she concocted the allegations in hopes of getting money from a civil lawsuit.
Testifying for a second day at Malavet’s trial, Maunsell acknowledged that she denied having been sexually assaulted when asked in 2002, 2017 and 2019. She said she lied the first time because she was still at the facility and feared retaliation, and again in the later years because she didn’t think anyone would believe her.
“It had been so long that I didn’t think anybody would even care,” she said. “I didn’t think it would matter to anyone … so I kept it in for a long time.”
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they have come forward publicly, as Maunsell has done. She is among more than 1,100 former residents of youth facilities who are suing the state alleging abuse that spanned six decades.
Malavet’s trial opened Monday. It is the first criminal trial arising from a five-year investigation into allegations of abuse at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the other eight men facing charges, Malavet worked at a different state-run facility where children were held while awaiting court disposition of their cases.
Under questioning from defense lawyer Maya Dominguez, Maunsell acknowledged Wednesday that she lied at age 15 when she told a counselor she had a baby, and that in contrast to her trial testimony, she did not tell police in 2020 that Malavet had kissed her or that he had assaulted her in a storage closet. But she denied the lawyer’s claim that she appeared “angry or exasperated” when questioned about Malavet in 2002.
“I appeared scared,” she said after being shown a video clip from the interview. “I know me, and I looked at me, and I was scared.”
Maunsell also rebutted two attempts to portray her as a liar about money she received in advance of a possible settlement in her civil case. After Dominguez claimed she spent $65,000 on a Mustang, Maunsell said “mustang” was the name of another loan company. And when Dominguez showed her a traffic incident report listing her car as a 2021 Audi and not the 2012 Audi she testified about, Maunsell said the report referred to a newer rental car she was given after she crashed the older car.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors are relying on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family