Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights -Elevate Capital Network
Chainkeen|Norwegian mass killer attempts to sue the state once more for an alleged breach of human rights
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:32:25
STAVANGER,Chainkeen Norway (AP) — Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian right-wing extremist who killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage in 2011, will try for the second time Monday to sue the Norwegian state for allegedly breaching his human rights.
Norway’s worst peacetime killer claims his solitary confinement since being imprisoned in 2012 amounts to inhumane treatment under the European Convention of Human Rights.
Norway favors rehabilitation over retribution, and Breivik is held in a two-story complex with a kitchen, dining room and TV room with an Xbox, several armchairs and black and white pictures of the Eiffel Tower on the wall. He also has a fitness room with weights, treadmill and a rowing machine, while three parakeets fly around the complex.
Even so, his lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, says it is impossible for Breivik, who now goes by the name Fjotolf Hansen, to have any meaningful relationships with anyone from the outside world, and says preventing his client from sending letters is another breach of his human rights.
A similar claim during a case in 2016 was accepted, but later overturned in a higher court. It was then rejected in the European Court of Human Rights. Breivik sought parole in 2022, but was judged to have shown no signs of rehabilitation.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik killed eight people in a bomb attack in Oslo before heading to a youth camp for a center-left political group on Utøya island, where, dressed as a police officer, he stalked and gunned down 69 people, mostly teenagers. The following year, Breivik was handed the maximum 21-year sentence with a clause — rarely used in the Norwegian justice system — that he can be held indefinitely if he is still considered a danger to society.
He has shown no remorse for his attacks, which he portrayed as a crusade against multiculturalism in Norway.
Many regard Breivik’s flirtations with the civil and parole courts as attempts to draw attention to his cause or even bask once again in the international limelight, as he had done at times during his criminal trial. Lisbeth Kristine Røyneland, who leads a support group for survivors of the attacks and bereaved families, says her group is “satisfied with the decision” not to allow a livestream of his comments from this court case.
The state rejects Breivik’s claims. In a letter to the court, Andreas Hjetland, a government attorney, wrote that Breivik had so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work and it was “therefore difficult to imagine which major reliefs in terms of sentencing are possible and justifiable.”
The trial will be held Monday in the gymnasium in Ringerike prison, a stone’s throw from Utøya.
veryGood! (6546)
Related
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial in New York heads to closing arguments, days before vote in Iowa
- Good news you may have missed in 2023
- Isabella Strahan Receives Support From Twin Sister Sophia Amid Brain Cancer Diagnosis
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Learning How to Cook? You Need These Kitchen Essentials in 2024
- Chris Pratt Shares Special Photo of All 3 Kids Together
- First endangered Florida panther death of 2024 reported after 13 killed last year
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Another layer of misery: Women in Gaza struggle to find menstrual pads, running water
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Google lays off hundreds in hardware, voice assistant teams amid cost-cutting drive
- Michigan basketball's leading scorer Dug McDaniel suspended for road games indefinitely
- Missouri dad knew his teen son was having sex with teacher, official say. Now he's charged.
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- For Dry January, we ask a music critic for great songs about not drinking
- 'Mommy look at me!': Deaf 3-year-old lights up watching 'Barbie with ASL'
- Plan for Gas Drilling Spree in New York’s Southern Tier Draws Muted Response from Regulators, But Outrage From Green Groups
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Top UN court opens hearings on South Africa’s allegation that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza
NFL coaching candidates: Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Mike Vrabel add intrigue to deep list
New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick Leaving Team After 24 Seasons
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
What is the birthstone for February? A guide to the month's captivating gem.
Twitch layoffs: Amazon-owned livestreaming platform cutting workforce by 35%
Nick Saban won seven national championships. Ranking them from best to worst