Current:Home > MySouth Africa gas leak near Johannesburg leaves 16 dead, including 3 children -Elevate Capital Network
South Africa gas leak near Johannesburg leaves 16 dead, including 3 children
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 02:09:13
At least 16 people, including three children, were killed by a leak of a toxic nitrate gas being used by illegal miners to process gold in an informal settlement in South Africa, police and local government authorities said Wednesday.
Emergency services initially announced that as many as 24 people might be dead in the Angelo settlement in Boksburg, a city on the eastern outskirts of Johannesburg. But police and Premier Panyaza Lesufi of Gauteng province later said the number of deaths had been confirmed as 16 after a recount of the bodies.
Teams were still searching the area looking for other casualties. The bodies of the victims remained lying on the ground hours after the leak was reported as emergency services waited for forensic investigators and pathologists to arrive.
"We can't move anybody. The bodies are still where they are on the ground," said emergency services spokesman William Ntladi.
An official was seen covering the body of a child with a blanket. Another body could be seen covered in a white cloth with a shoe sticking out. It lay under a strip of yellow police tape cordoning off the area.
Police said the three children killed were aged 1, 6 and 15. Two people were taken to the hospital for treatment, police said.
Boksburg is the city where 41 people died after a truck carrying liquefied petroleum gas got stuck under a bridge and exploded on Christmas Eve.
Ntladi said Wednesday's deaths were caused by a nitrate gas that leaked from a gas cylinder being kept in a shack. He said the canister had emptied out and teams were able to begin going over an area stretching out 100 meters (or about 100 yards) from the cylinder to check for more casualties.
Ntladi said the information authorities had indicated the cylinder that caused the leak was being used by illegal miners to separate gold from dirt and rock.
Lesufi, Gauteng's premier, tweeted videos of the dusty inside of a shack where at least four gas cylinders could be seen on metal stands. The video also shows what Lesufi said was the cylinder responsible for the leak lying on the floor next to the entrance of the shack.
Authorities didn't say if the illegal miners they believed to be responsible for the gas leak were among the casualties.
Illegal mining is rife in the gold-rich areas around Johannesburg, where miners go into closed off and disused mines to search for any deposits left over.
Fatal incidents underground are also common. Recently the South African government agency responsible for mining announced that at least 31 illegal miners were believed to have died in a gas explosion in a disused mine in the city of Welkom, in central South Africa.
That explosion was caused by methane gas, the mining agency said.
- In:
- South Africa
- Gas Leak
veryGood! (52665)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Apple set to roll out the iPhone 15. Here's what to expect.
- Making of Colts QB Anthony Richardson: Chasing Tebow, idolizing Tom Brady, fighting fires
- Greek authorities evacuate another village as they try to prevent flooding in a major city
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- College football Week 2 highlights: Alabama-Texas score, best action from Saturday
- Russia is turning to old ally North Korea to resupply its arsenal for the war in Ukraine
- G20 agreement reflects sharp differences over Ukraine and the rising clout of the Global South
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- College football Week 2 highlights: Alabama-Texas score, best action from Saturday
Ranking
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Sharon Osbourne calls Ashton Kutcher rudest celebrity she's met: 'Dastardly little thing'
- Elon Musk and Grimes Have a Third Child, New Biography Says
- Tribal nations face less accurate, more limited 2020 census data because of privacy methods
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- G20 agreement reflects sharp differences over Ukraine and the rising clout of the Global South
- 'Brought to tears': Coco Gauff describes the moments after her US Open win
- Some millennials ditch dating app culture in favor of returning to 'IRL' connections
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Special election in western Pennsylvania to determine if Democrats or GOP take control of the House
EXPLAINER: Challenges from intense summer heat raise questions about Texas power grid’s reliability
Adam Sandler's Sweet Bond With Daughters Sadie and Sunny Is Better Than Shampoo and Conditioner
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Legal fight expected after New Mexico governor suspends the right to carry guns in public
Coco Gauff plays Aryna Sabalenka in the US Open women’s final
Soccer star Achraf Hakimi urges Moroccans to ‘help each other’ after earthquake