Current:Home > NewsAustralian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content -Elevate Capital Network
Australian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 07:28:48
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s online safety watchdog said on Monday it had fined X — the social media platform formerly known as Twitter — 610,500 Australian dollars ($385,000) for failing to fully explain how it tackled child sexual exploitation content.
Australia’s eSafety Commission describes itself as the world’s first government agency dedicated to keeping people safe online.
The commission issued legal transparency notices early this year to X and other platforms questioning what they were doing to tackle a proliferation of child sexual exploitation, sexual extortion and the livestreaming of child sexual abuse.
eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said X and Google had not complied with the notices because both companies had failed to adequately respond to a number of questions.
The platform renamed X by its new owner Elon Musk was the worst offender, providing no answers to some questions including how many staff remained on the trust and safety team that worked on preventing harmful and illegal content since Musk took over, Inman Grant said.
“I think there’s a degree of defiance there,” Inman Grant said.
“If you’ve got a basic H.R. (human resources) system or payroll, you’ll know how many people are on each team,” she added.
X did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
After Musk completed his acquisition of the company in October last year, he drastically cut costs and shed thousands of jobs.
X could challenge the fine in the Australian Federal Court. But the court could impose a fine of up to AU$780,000 ($493,402) per day since March when the commission first found the platform had not complied with the transparency notice.
The commission would continue to pressure X through notices to become more transparent, Inman Grant said.
“They can keep stonewalling and we’ll keep fining them,” she said.
The commission issued Google with a formal warning for providing “generic responses to specific questions,” a statement said.
Google regional director Lucinda Longcroft said the company had developed a range of technologies to proactively detect, remove and report child sexual abuse material.
“Protecting children on our platforms is the most important work we do,” Longcroft said in a statement. “Since our earliest days we have invested heavily in the industrywide fight to stop the spread of child sexual abuse material,” she added.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Truth Social parent company stock prices fall to new low after public trading debut
- NASCAR Cup race at Michigan halted by rain after Stage 1, will resume Monday
- Ford, General Motors among 221,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- US soldier indicted for lying about association with group advocating government overthrow
- When does the college football season start? Just a few days from now
- King Charles visits victims of stabbing at Southport Taylor Swift-themed dance class
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Tamirat Tola and Hellen Obiri look to defend titles in New York City Marathon
Ranking
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Lainey Wilson’s career felt like a ‘Whirlwind.’ On her new album, she makes sense of life and love
- Las Vegas hospitality workers at Venetian reach tentative deal on first-ever union contract
- The Daily Money: Real estate rules are changing. What does it mean for buyers, sellers?
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Photos show 'incredibly rare' dead sea serpent surfacing in Southern California waters
- Dr. Amy Acton, who helped lead Ohio’s early pandemic response, is weighing 2026 run for governor
- Jannik Sinner twice tests positive for a steroid, but avoids suspension
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Arizona woman wins $1 million ordering lottery ticket on her phone, nearly wins Powerball
Ex- NFL lineman Michael Oher discusses lawsuit against Tuohy family and 'The Blind Side'
DNC comes to 'Little Palestine' as Gaza deaths top 40,000
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Chappell Roan speaks out against 'creepy behavior' from fans: 'That's not normal'
Danielle Fishel’s Husband Jensen Karp Speaks Out After She Shares Breast Cancer Diagnosis
The Most Unsettling Moments From Scott Peterson's Face to Face Prison Interviews