Current:Home > StocksJudge refuses to extend timeframe for Georgia’s new Medicaid plan, only one with work requirement -Elevate Capital Network
Judge refuses to extend timeframe for Georgia’s new Medicaid plan, only one with work requirement
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 03:22:16
ATLANTA (AP) — A federal judge ruled that the Biden administration complied with the law when it declined to grant an extension to Georgia’s year-old Medicaid plan, which is the only one in the country that has a work requirement for recipients of the publicly funded health coverage for low-income people.
The state didn’t comply with federal rules for an extension, so the Biden administration legally rejected its request to extend the Georgia Pathways to Coverage program’s expiration date from September 2025 to 2028, U.S. Judge Lisa Godbey Wood ruled Monday.
A spokeswoman for the state attorney general’s office referred comment to the governor’s office, which didn’t immediately respond to an email sent Tuesday.
Georgia Pathways requires all recipients to show that they performed at least 80 hours of work, volunteer activity, schooling or vocational rehabilitation each month. It also limits coverage to able-bodied adults earning no more than the federal poverty line, which is $15,060 for a single person and $31,200 for a family of four.
The Biden administration revoked the work requirement in 2021, but Wood later reinstated it in response to a lawsuit by the state. Georgia sued the administration again in February, arguing that the decision to revoke the work requirement and another aspect of Pathways delayed implementation of the program. That reduced the program’s originally approved five-year term to just over two years.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services twice rejected the request to extend Pathways, saying the state had failed to meet requirements for an extension request, including a public notice and comment period. Georgia argued that it was seeking to amend the program, so those requirements should not apply.
In her latest ruling, Wood said the state had indeed made an extension request. She agreed that the Biden administration’s decision to revoke parts of Pathways had delayed its implementation, but she said a “prior bad act” did not allow the state to “now skirt the rules and regulations governing time extensions.”
“If Georgia wants to extend the program beyond the September 30, 2025, deadline, it has to follow the rules for obtaining an extension,” she wrote.
Pathways is off to a rocky start. Georgia officials expected it to provide health insurance to 25,000 low-income residents, or possibly tens of thousands more, by now. But enrollment stood at just over 4,300 as of last month.
Critics say the work requirement is too onerous. Supporters say Pathways needs more time.
veryGood! (28)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- What does it take to be an astronaut? NASA is looking to select new recruits
- Hits, Flops and Other Illusions: Director Ed Zwick on a life in Hollywood
- Former cheesemaker pleads guilty in listeria outbreak that killed two people
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- What is a whale native to the North Pacific doing off New England? Climate change could be the key
- Mexican gray wolves boost their numbers, but a lack of genetic diversity remains a threat
- Haley’s exit from the GOP race pushes off — again — the day Americans could elect a woman president
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- USPS will stop accepting orders for free COVID tests on March 8
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Video shows Connecticut state trooper shooting man who was holding knives
- Caitlin Clark wins 3rd straight Big Ten Player of the Year award to cap off regular season
- Mega Millions winning numbers for March 5 drawing: Did anyone win $650 million jackpot?
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Rewritten indictment against Sen. Bob Menendez alleges new obstruction of justice crimes
- Hondurans glued to their former president’s US drug trafficking trial
- Largest wildfire in Texas history caused by downed power pole, lawsuit alleges
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
'The Backyardigans' creator Janice Burgess dies of breast cancer at 72
Shark suspected of biting 11-year-old girl at surf spot on Oahu, Hawaii beach, reports say
New York will send National Guard to subways after a string of violent crimes
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Georgia pushes group to sanction prosecutors as Fani Willis faces removal from Trump case
Dartmouth men's basketball team vote to form labor union which is first for college athletics
Trump lawyers want him back on witness stand in E. Jean Carroll case