Current:Home > FinanceParents of Michigan school shooting victims say more investigation is needed -Elevate Capital Network
Parents of Michigan school shooting victims say more investigation is needed
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:07:40
PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) — The parents of four students killed at a Michigan school called on Monday for a state investigation of all aspects of the 2021 mass shooting, saying the convictions of a teenager and his parents are not enough to close the book.
The parents also want a change in Michigan law, which currently makes it hard to sue the Oxford school district for errors that contributed to the attack.
“We want this to be lessons learned for Michigan and across the country, ultimately,” said Steve St. Juliana, whose 14-year-old daughter, Hana, was killed by Ethan Crumbley at Oxford High School.
“But in order to get there, some fundamental things have to happen,” he said.
Buck Myre, the father of victim Tate Myre, said Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel needs to “quit ignoring us.”
St. Juliana, Myre, Craig Shilling and Nicole Beausoleil sat for a joint interview with The Associated Press at the Oakland County prosecutor’s office. A jury last week convicted the shooter’s father, James Crumbley, of involuntary manslaughter.
The boy’s mother, Jennifer Crumbley, was convicted of the same charges in February. The parents were accused of making a gun accessible at home and ignoring their son’s mental distress, especially on the day of the shooting when they were summoned by the school to discuss a ghastly drawing on a math assignment.
The Crumbleys didn’t take the 15-year-old home, and school staff believed he wasn’t a threat to others. No one checked his backpack for a gun, however, and he later shot up the school.
The Oxford district hired an outside group to conduct an independent investigation. A report released last October said “missteps at each level” — school board, administrators, staff — contributed to the disaster. Dozens of school personnel declined to be interviewed or didn’t respond.
The district had a threat assessment policy but had failed to implement guidelines that fit the policy — a “significant failure,” according to the report.
Myre said a state investigation with teeth could help reveal the “whole story” of Nov. 30, 2021.
“When there’s accountability, then change happens,” he said. “We want accountability and change. No parent, no school district, no child should ever have to go through this.”
The Associated Press sent emails on Monday seeking comment from the attorney general’s office and the Oxford school district.
Lawsuits against the district are pending in state and federal appeals courts, but the bar in Michigan is high. Under state law, public agencies can escape liability if their actions were not the proximate cause of injury, among other conditions.
And because of that legal threshold, the parents said, insurance companies that cover schools get in the way of public transparency.
“The system has been able to hold the people accountable,” Myre said, referring to the convictions of the Crumbley family, “but we are not allowed to hold the system accountable.”
“That’s unconstitutional,” he said. “That’s an attack on our civil rights.”
Myre praised Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for meeting with parents but said other officials have not listened.
St. Juliana said Michigan should create an agency dedicated to school safety, as Maryland has.
“We need to get the truth and the facts out there, and we can then develop the countermeasures to say, ‘How do we prevent these mistakes from happening again?’” St. Juliana said.
Besides Tate Myre and Hana St. Juliana, Justin Shilling, 17, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17, were killed. Six students and a staff member were wounded.
Ethan Crumbley, now 17, is serving a life prison sentence for murder and terrorism. His parents will be sentenced on April 9.
___
Follow Ed White on X, formerly Twitter: https://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (22257)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Who is Nick Sorensen? NFL, coaching resume for new San Francisco 49ers coordinator
- Kristin Cavallari slams critics of her dating 24-year-old: 'They’re all up in arms'
- PHOTOS: What it's like to be 72 — the faces (and wisdom) behind the age
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Nikki Haley wins the District of Columbia’s Republican primary and gets her first 2024 victory
- Vice President Kamala Harris to join in marking anniversary of Bloody Sunday on Alabama bridge
- Actor Will Forte says completed Coyote vs. Acme film is likely never coming out
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- You Won’t Believe All the Hidden Gems We Found From Amazon’s Outdoor Decor Section for a Backyard Oasis
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 2024 Masters Tournament: Who will participate at Augusta? How to watch, odds, TV schedule
- Head Start preschools aim to fight poverty, but their teachers struggle to make ends meet
- Body of missing Florida teen Madeline Soto found, sheriff says
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- LeBron James reaches 40,000 points to extend his record as the NBA’s scoring leader
- A 4-year-old Gaza boy lost his arm – and his family. Half a world away, he’s getting a second chance
- Lululemon Leaps into the Balletcore Trend with New Dance Studio Pants & More
Recommendation
The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
Pentagon leak suspect Jack Teixeira is expected to plead guilty in federal court
Transgender Afghans escape Taliban persecution only to find a worse situation as refugees in Pakistan
Rihanna performs first full concert in years at billionaire Mukesh Ambani's party for son
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Caleb Williams is facing colossal expectations. The likely No. 1 NFL draft pick isn't scared.
Getting off fossil fuels is hard, but this city is doing it — building by building
Man charged with attacking police in Times Square, vilified in Trump ad, was misidentified, DA says